Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
1. Maybe I ought to go away for a week's retreat straighten myself out.
2. Noele laughed. "I have enough trouble with Jaimie Burn, Roger, without taking on a ghost."
3. Much less did we want anyone to open a can of worm about a mission security chief who might be guilty of attempted murder.
4. And now some of us are coming back in, but we're still walking on eggshells.
5. A patronizing comment about her literary taste die on his lips,as patronizing comments had been dying for some time now.
6. The phone rang. Even though her private number had been changed and there had been no threatening calls since the accident, she knew who it was before she answered. Again the thick, blue voice on the phone." McNelly and his fink cops aren't going to protect you. You're going to get f**ked real good."
I found them in the novel, Please tell me the words in italic form are they idiom or not and what is the meaning? :-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1. Maybe I ought to go away for a week's retreat to straighten myself out. Not really, no. It's a phrasal verb.
2. Noele laughed. "I have enough trouble with Jaimie Burn, Roger, without taking on a ghost." I haven't heard this before.
3. Much less did we want anyone to open a can of worm about a mission security chief who might be guilty of attempted murder. I assume you're talking about "to open a can of worms". For me, that's an idiom.
4. And now some of us are coming back in, but we're still walking on eggshells. Yes.
5. A patronizing comment about her literary taste die on his lips,as patronizing comments had been dying for some time now. Not really. I think the meaning is easily discernible from the words.
6. The phone rang. Even though her private number had been changed and there had been no threatening calls since the accident, she knew who it was before she answered. Again the thick, blue voice on the phone." McNelly and his fink cops aren't going to protect you. You're going to get f**ked real good." I'm pretty sure this is not an idiom. I don't even know what a "blue voice" is.
I found them in the novel, Please tell me the words in italic form are they idiom or not and what is the meaning? :-?

See above.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, jebonfikri. :hi:

emsr2d2 was able to assist you this time. If you have problems in the future, please ask only one question in each thread. Start a new thread for each new question.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
4. And now some of us are coming back in, but we're still walking on eggshells.
what is the meaning?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) You know what an egg is.

(2) You know the whiite cover of an egg is the shell

(3) Let's say that you have 100 eggshells (no egg inside).

(4) If you walked on those eggshells, would you break them? Of course,

you would.

(5) Well, the idiom "to walk on eggshells" means to be super careful about

what we say and what we do. It is the same as walking very gently on eggshells

so that we do not break them. So in real life, we speak and act very gently so that

we do not make someone angry or embarrassed or sad, etc.

(6) Look at your sentence. Let's say the the boss dismissed all of you from your

jobs. Let's say that you ask him to forgive all of you. Let's say the boss says,

"OK, you can have your jobs back, but if you say or do anything that angers me,

I will fire all of you permanently."And now some of us are coming back in [to work],

but we're still walking on eggshells." (We are super careful what we say to the

boss and what we do in the office. If we say one word or do one thing to

anger the boss, he will dismiss us. Then we will not have jobs, and we will

not be able to pay the rent and buy food.)

jebonfikri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Thank you so much all.. now I'm understand how idioms work. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.