Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1- He sent me a letter .(Always correct)

2-He forwarded me a mail.(Always correct)

3- He offered me a cup of tea.(Always correct)

4-He texted me time-table for the exam.(Always correct)

Like above, Can we also write the following sentence ?
a- He dispatched me a watch wrapped in red paper. (Is also correct ?)

b- He delivered me pizza.(Is also correct ?)

c-They messaged me a important note.(Is also correct ?)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

2-He forwarded me a mail. (Always correct) If you mean an email, then yes.

3- He offered me a cup of tea. (Always correct)

4-He texted me time-table for the exam. (Always correct) This is incorrect. It should say "He texted me the timetable for the exam".

Like above, can we also write the following sentence?

a- He dispatched me a watch wrapped in red paper. (Is this also correct?) This is OK.

b- He delivered me pizza. (Is this also correct?) Yes, but it's more natural to say "He delivered a pizza to me". If you don't want to be specific about how many pizzas, then you can just use "pizza" on its own. To keep your word order, use "He brought me pizza".

c-They messaged me an important note. (Is this also correct?) With the correct indefinite article, yes.

See above.
Please remember to put a space after a full stop. Do not put a space before a question mark.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France

2-He forwarded me a mail.(Always correct) "He forwarded me an email" sounds better (to me).

3- He offered me a cup of tea.(Always correct)

4-He texted me time-table for the exam.([STRIKE]Always correct[/STRIKE] incorrect) He texted me the (or a) timetable for the exam. Don't forget to use an article, and "timetable" is one word. Strictly speaking, a timetable is a chart showing the departure and arrival times of trains, buses, or planes. While it is accepted, you may wish to consider using "schedule" instead.

Like above, Can we also write the following sentence ?
a- He dispatched me a watch wrapped in red paper. (Is also correct ?) It is grammatical, but also awkward. Why not, simply, "He sent me a watch..."?

b- He delivered me pizza.(Is also correct ?) Again, grammatical but I would add the preposition "to". He delivered pizza to me.

c-They messaged me a important note.(Is also correct ?) Yes, but use "an", not "a".

John

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the "timetable" vs "schedule" is a BrE vs AmE difference. In BrE, we rarely use "schedule" in place of "timetable".

onkar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you all.It is very great helping site.Really it has helped me a lot to understand english in better way.Really you all teachers are great and intelligent .I am registered in some other sites for english learning but here i am very much satisfied .Once again i thank you all for your support.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all. It is very great helping site. Really it has helped me a lot to understand English in better way. Really you all teachers are great and intelligent. I am registered in some other sites for English learning but here I am very much satisfied. Once again I thank you all for your support.

You're welcome. You will find it even more helpful if you read all the advice in each post. In my first post, I told you that you must put a space after every full stop. You have not done that in this post. We don't put a space before a full stop. I have corrected them in your post. Look at it and compare it to your original. I hope you can see the difference.

FINAL WORD OF SENTENCE THEN FULL STOP THEN SPACE. ;-)

Also remember to capitalise the word "I" (first person singular) at all times.

Status
Not open for further replies.