English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,
Could you help me in this matter please?
The students have this sentence, 'Lunch lasts an hour' inside a story.
I have already explained them that a synonym for 'lasts' can be 'continuos for'.
But then, amomg other words, I ask them to write sentences including the given vocabulary, that means 'lasts' among other vocabulary words.
My question is, to use 'lasts' properly I would like to given them additional information.
Is it appropriate the following explanation for it?

Writing Tip
Use the verb 'last' to indicate the duration of a situation, event, or problem.

If I give them the above explanation, wouldn't they be confused with the prepositions 'since' and 'for'? Though they are prepositions.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have already explained (to them) that a synonym for 'lasts' can be 'continu[STRIKE]o[/STRIKE]es for'.

Use the verb 'last' in sentences to indicate the duration of a situation, event, or problem.

If I give them the above explanation, wouldn't they be confused with the prepositions 'since' and 'for'? I don't see why they should be.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi sir,
Thank you so much for you corrections and help.

I have already explained (to them) that a synonym for 'lasts' can be 'continuoes for'.
One more question please:
So, we explain to somebody something. I mean, do I always need to use the preposition 'to' before the object?

'... can be 'continuoes for'. Sorry about this mistake. I've been preparing quite a few exercises about the present continuous and I guess my neuron has been really bad to me.:shock:

If I give them the above explanation, wouldn't they be confused with the prepositions 'since' and 'for'? I don't see why they should be.
You are right! One thing is a verb and the other is a preposition. Sometimes I become too obsesive with these things.

Best,
Learning

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi sir,
Thank you so much for you corrections and help.

I have already explained (to them) that a synonym for 'lasts' can be 'continuoes for'.
One more question please:
So, we explain to somebody something. I mean, do I always need to use the preposition 'to' before the object?

'... can be 'continuoes for'. Sorry about this mistake. I've been preparing quite a few exercises about the present continuous and I guess my neuron has been really bad to me.:shock:

You are right! One thing is a verb and the other is a preposition. Sometimes I become too obsesive with these things.

Best,
Learning

I'm not quite sure what your question is! If it's "Do we have to say "to explain something to someone?", then the answer is yes. When I lived in Spain, one of the most common errors I heard was:

Please explain me this word.
Can you explain me how to use pronouns?

It is always "explain to" before a pronoun.

Explain it to me.
I explained to him that I won't be at the party on Saturday.
They couldn't explain to me why I had to do it.

If there's no pronoun, then it's fine on its own.

He asked me why I wasn't there, but I chose not to explain.
They can't explain why the volcano erupted twice in one week.

I'm not sure why the word "continues" appears so strangely throughout your posts. You have spelt it incorrectly (you have added an "o") and the letters aren't all the same colour.

Lasts = continues for

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi sir,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm not quite sure what your question is! If it's "Do we have to say "to explain something to someone?", then the answer is yes. When I lived in Spain, one of the most common errors I heard was ...

Yes! You have guessed it very well. That was my question. Since I'm Spanish I have the same problem.:oops:
Be sure I'll never forget it from now on.;-)

I'm not sure why the word "continues" appears so strangely throughout your posts. You have spelt it incorrectly (you have added an "o") and the letters aren't all the same colour. Sorry about that.

Best,
Learning

Status
Not open for further replies.