Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Stephen Merchant is famously tall at 6'7", and tells a story about how when he was around 16 years old back home in Bristol, he attended a New Year's Eve party in the town centre. He was excited when two girls approached him and asked if he'd be around for awhile until they said, "It's just we've arranged to meet back at you at midnight".
In one telling of this story, Steve was carrying a balloon. So even when the girls did meet back at him and subsequently leave with some lads, at least he had his balloon.

We've Arranged to Meet Back at You at Midnight - Pilkipedia

What does "to meet back at you" mean here? Does this mean that they wanted to meat him later? I couldn't find it in my dictionary.

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
People frequently meet (back) at a landmark. He was so tall that the girls had decided to use him as a meeting point; he was very visible.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What does "to meet back at you" mean here? Does this mean that they wanted to meat him later? I couldn't find it in my dictionary.

Thanks in advance.

I've never heard/read it expressed that way (AmE). But young persons, especially, often create expressions that don't often follow what could be considered conventional conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.