Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The class is over, it's finished, and here is the simple music/alarm indicating it.
When it were a bell we would say 'the bell rang' or 'the bell rung'
But what should we say for this music/alarm now? 'it rang' or something?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi and happy Christmas!
When the time of the class is finished we say: It's over or dismissed, etc.
But the teacher here is gonna indicate the verb 'ring' in his sentence, what should he tell?
I think 'the bell rang' or 'the bell rung' is not proper because nowadays the schools don't usually have a mechanical bell!
What should he say? 'It rang,' 'The music rang,' or 'The bell rang' is still common?

J

J&K Tutoring

Still not quite clear, and I don't want to be giving an answer if this is part of a homework assignment.

I will offer this: Don't get hung up trying to think about grammar according to what technology is used to indicate the end of the class period. Just because you think a mechanical bell is no longer used doesn't mean another type of bell sound would not be used, and we would use the same verb forms for a digital "bell" sound.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So I understood that the word 'bell' is for mechanical and electronic rings, but my question is that which expression is more usual among natives.
Imagine here you are a teacher now and the bell has just rung. What would you say?
1. The bell rang.
2. Bell rang.
3. The bell rung.
4. The bell is rung.
5. The bell was rung.
6. The bell has rung.
7. The bell has been rung.
Or maybe these are not usual for mentioning the verb 'ring'
Thanks,

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would probably say, "There's the bell," or something entirely different such as, "That's it for today".

J

J&K Tutoring

When I was in school, the teacher didn't have to say anything- just get out of the way to avoid being trampled...;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
When I was in school, the teacher didn't have to say anything- just get out of the way to avoid being trampled...;-)
I was always shocked at how rude that seemed when I was a kid watching American TV. In my country the bell was a signal for the teacher to wind up the class. 40 year later, I still find it rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.