• Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

adverbs with modal

Hello,

Sometimes, I can't decide while constructing a sentence like a native person so, please help me about what I wrote below.

Could you please tell me whether we can use the adverbs together I wrote below or not?

Probably, we can't.............
    Maybe we can't.........
    Probably we might not..... ...etc

We use 'can't' with certain situations ,and for this reason I have been condused about it
    ,and I want to know whether there is any necessity while using some adverbs with modal verbs such as 'can't may, might not,..etc.

Thanks....

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: adverbs with modal

Quote Originally Posted by aysaa View Post
    Hello,

Sometimes, I can't decide while constructing a sentence like a native person so, please help me about what I wrote below.
    There's ample material here for a long correction and explanation even before getting to your examples.

Could you please tell me whether we can use the adverbs together I wrote below or not?

Probably, we can't.............
    "We probably can't ...." (Three dots for an ellipsis within a sentence, and one extra for a period to end the sentence. Any more is pure over-indulgence.)

Maybe we can't.........
    "We may not be able to."
    Probably we might not..... ...etc
    "We probably might not ..." is probably what you'd need. It's hard to be sure without a context -- for example, the rest of the sentence.

We use 'can't' with certain situations
    Surely only in situations in which we want to say "can not". I imagine the situations are similar to those in which you use "kann nicht" in German -- though of course you can't use "can't" if 'can' and 'not' are separated by other words. But this doesn't happen in English as often as in German. "Ich kann diese Dinge nicht verstehen"; "I can't understand these things."

,and for this reason I have been condused about it
    You haven't given a reason.
    ,and I want to know whether there is any necessity while using some adverbs with modal verbs such as 'can't may, might not,..etc.
    I don't understand this question; necessity for what? There's a necessity to use one of the correct English forms when you want to use an adverb with a modal (either negated or not).

Thanks....
    I've given you some suggestions, but you'd really need to provide a complete sentence if you wanted to know the best way to express it.
    You might get a better answer if you confined your questions to those which you could express comprehensibly in English. I know that's a problem for all language students. Making your questions shorter and more specific is one way to do it.