Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
I hope that it improves my writing in English. I will read the book in English everyday.
Let me know if my english is good :) or almost good :-?. God bless you.

My name is Madeleine. I am Swedish. I am a Christian. I have strong faith in Jesus Christ. I often travel to different places in Sweden every year. I sometimes also travel to Europe. I love walking into the nature. All the beautiful things God had created.

Chapter 1

* In the morning I was walking along the hill road carrying little baggage and a small purse.
* I stopped walking. I bowed to set two bags down on the ground of the hill. I stood up. How a beautiful view from the hill I could see. I saw a village that was called “ Gurburg “
I had been standing there for a few minutes. After that I picked and I bowed to pick the two bags up and set off for the village.
* In the village, I found a small hotel by the river I loved. I entered it. An old woman sitting at the desk with a blue guestbook was knitting a wooly poncho. She greeted me friendly with cries of welcome.
“Do you have a single room for me?” I asked polity.
She nodded, “Yes I still have one.” said she tenderly.
She put the knitting needles and the wool on the desk. She got up from the chair and got a key from the key hanger. She gave it to me.
“Here is your key. You can have breakfast from 8 to 9:30 every morning.” said she friendly.
“Thank you, I always get up early in the morning.” I said. “My name is Madeleine. How can I call you?”
“I am Madam Inger Bakke. We wish you have a pleasant stay in our hotel, Madeleine”, she said tenderly.
I bowed my head saying “Thank you, Madam Inger”.
I was about to walk up the staircase when Inger asked whether she should lead me to my room. But I shook my head, “No, thank you. I know the way.” Then I walked up.
*In the hallway I found my room. When I opened the door, I saw what furniture my room had. The room had an old bed and an old table that was beside the old bed. There was an old oil lamp on the old table. There was an old radio on the small cupboard below the window. There were two portraits on the wall of the room.
That portrait of an old man, who wore a black hat and was dressed in a black suit with a tie, hanging next to another portrait of an old woman, who wore a black bonnet and was dressed in a black caraco jacket with a jabot. “Who are they?” I thought. I should ask Madam Inger about it soon. Then I walked to my little baggage and purse where I had set down. I picked them up and put on the bed ---- I changed into different clothes. I looked around for a mirror I needed, but there was no mirror here. I walked to the window glass that looks like the mirror. I stood looking at myself through the glass. I wore a long scarf over my red cardigan and long skirt that my grandma made for me. My clothes looked very good on me. I enjoyed the feel of these clothes. I got hungry. I wondered whether Madam Inger had a small restaurant at her hotel. I took the purse and walked out of the room to go downstairs.

Chapter 2

When I walked down, I saw a young man sitting at the table to eat his meal, looking unhappy.

Last edited:

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Who has English skills? I want someone to correct my English and explain how to improve English.

I have written a short story:

*My name is Madeleine. I am Swedish. I am a Christian. I have strong faith in Jesus Christ. I often travel to different places in Sweden every year. I sometimes also travel to Europe. I love walking into the nature. All the beautiful things God had created.

Chapter 1
* In the morning I was walking along the hill road with [STRIKE]a small[/STRIKE] little baggage (uncountable noun) and a small purse [STRIKE]I carried[/STRIKE]. - Or: …along the hill road carrying little baggage….
* I stopped walking. I bowed and set two bags down on the ground of the hill. to me it’s clear that she has to bow to do that, so it’s not necessary to mention it. I rose [STRIKE]to stand[/STRIKE]. Or: I stood up and began to look around. What a beautiful view from the hill I could see! I saw a village that was called “ Gurburg “
I had been standing there for a few minutes. After that [STRIKE]a few minutes[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]bowed to[/STRIKE] picked the two bags up and set off for the village.
* In the village, I found a small hotel by the river she loved who is she? I entered it. An old woman [STRIKE]sat[/STRIKE] sitting at the desk with a blue guestbook [STRIKE]while she[/STRIKE] was knitting a wooly poncho. She greeted me friendly with cries of welcome.
“Should one room be free for me?” – Better:Do you have a single room for me for 10 nights? I asked [STRIKE]neatly[/STRIKE] politely.
She nodded, “Yes I still have [STRIKE]got it[/STRIKE] one” said she tenderly.
She put the knitting needles and the wool on the desk. She got up from the [STRIKE]desk[/STRIKE] chair and got a key from the key hanger. She gave it to me.
“Here is your key. You [STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] can have breakfast from 8 to 9:30 every morning.” said she friendly.
“Thank you, I always get up early in the morning.” I said. “My name is Madeleine. How [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] can I call you?”
“I am Madam Inger Bakke. We wish you have a pleasant stay in our hotel, Madeleine”, she said tenderly.
I bowed [STRIKE]with my face[/STRIKE] my head saying “Thank you, Madam Inger”.
I was about to walk up the staircase when Inger asked whether she [STRIKE]would[/STRIKE] should lead me to my room. But I shook [STRIKE]with my face [/STRIKE] my head “No, thank you. I know [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the way.” Then I walked up.
*In the hallway I found my room. When I opened the door, I saw what furniture my room had. The room had an old bed and an old table that was beside the old bed. There was an old oil lamp on the old table. There was an old radio on the small cupboard below the window. There were two portraits on the wall of the room.

februar, no teacher

Last edited:

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Februar, thank you so much for correcting my English. My English is almost improved. Are you a English or American writer?

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
* In the village, I found a small hotel by the river she loved who is she? Sorry I mean:
In the village, I found a small hotel by the river I loved

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland

* In the village, I found a small hotel by the river she loved – who is she? Sorry I mean:
In the village, I found a small hotel by the river I loved OK

I’ve learnt British English, but I saw, that you wrote, for example “wooly” which is American English, so I didn’t correct it into British English “woolly”. Is it OK with you?

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
Yes right, i use American English. Also I am learning both British and American English because English is my favorite language.

I am still studying to improve my English. I am going to start a second chapter. I do my best to improve my English. I am still working it very hard. Can you correct it again?

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
I hope that it improves my writing in English. I will read the book in English every day.
Let me know if my English is good or almost good . - You have the skills to become very good at English. I hope other helpers have also a look at my corrections.

That portrait of an old man, who was wearing a black hat and [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] dressed in a black suit with a tie, hang[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] next to another portrait of an old woman, who was wearing a black bonnet and [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] dressed in a black caraco jacket with a jabot. “Who are they?” I thought. I should ask Madam Inger about it soon.

Then I walked to my luggage and purse where I had placed them. I picked them up and put them on the bed ---- I changed my clothes. I looked around for a mirror I needed, but there was no mirror here. I walked to the window as its glass looked like a mirror. I stood there looking at myself in the glass. I was wearing a long scarf over my red cardigan and long skirt that my grandma made for me. My clothes looked much better (good-better-best) on me. – Or: I looked much better in my own clothes. I enjoyed the feel of these clothes. I got hungry. I wondered whether Madam Inger had a small restaurant at her hotel. I took the purse and walked out of the room to go downstairs.

Chapter 2

When I walked down, I saw a young man sitting at the table to eat his meal, looking unhappy.

This is the second part of your story before you changed it into one piece. I’ll have a look at your corrected text of the first part as soon as a can.
Please post every new text separately.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
This is the beginning of your first chapter that you changed. I had a look and found only few mistakes.

Chapter 1

* In the morning I was walking along the hill road carrying little baggage and a small purse.
* I stopped walking. I bowed to set two bags down on the ground of the hill. I stood up. Then I looked around and thought: What a beautiful view from the hill!”I saw a village that was called Gurburg“.
I had been standing there for a few minutes. After that [STRIKE]I picked and[/STRIKE] I bowed to pick the two bags up and set off for the village.
* In the village, I found a small hotel by the river I loved. I entered it. An old woman sitting at the desk with a blue guestbook was knitting a wooly poncho. She greeted me friendly with cries of welcome.
“Do you have a single room for me?” I asked politely.
She nodded, “Yes I still have one.” said she tenderly.
She put the knitting needles and the wool on the desk. She got up from the chair and got a key from the key hanger. She gave it to me.
“Here is your key. You can have breakfast from 8 to 9:30 every morning.” said she friendly.
“Thank you, I always get up early in the morning.” I said. “My name is Madeleine. How can I call you?”
I bowed my head saying “Thank you, Madam Inger”.
I was about to walk up the staircase when Inger asked whether she should lead me to my room. But I shook my head, “No, thank you. I know the way.” Then I walked up.

jadams

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Februar, thank you so much for correcting my English. My English is almost improved. Are you a English or American writer?

Whats the difference between English or American writer. I feel you means a British or American one.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Whats the difference between English or American writer. I feel you means a British or American one.

In your whole text is one word that is different: "wooly" is American English - in British English the correct spelling is "woolly". There are a number of such little differences. I'd prefer British English, but in this case you should correct the word "wooly" into "woolly".

Would you like my corrections in British English?

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
For Februar

I read a book in English. I noticed the words.

You corrected my English :I got up from the chair
there are the words in a book I read, also : I got up from the desk

Its very nice to work together with you if you want.

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands

I write both British and American English.

februar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
For Februar

I read a book in English. I noticed the words.

You corrected my English :I got up from the chair
there are the words in a book I read, also : I got up from the desk

Its very nice to work together with you if you want.

Well, my thought was that if I get up from the desk I was sitting on the desk not on the chair. Maybe I’m wrong and someone can help us. What about “I got up from the desk chair”?

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
i show it to you

Attachments

• get up2.jpg
    get up2.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 4

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, my thought was that if I get up from the desk I was sitting on the desk not on the chair. Maybe I’m wrong and someone can help us. What about “I got up from the desk chair”?
'She got up from the desk' in the sense of 'she got up from the desk at which she had been sitting' is possible, but I understand why you made you change.

@deafartist
februar's profile shows that s/he is not a native speaker, and s/he always makes it clear in her/his first post that s/he is not a teacher. You must therefore not expect 100% accuracy. However, proofreading takes a lot of time, and februar is one of the few people in the forum who regularly makes an effort to help out. Writing after correction by februar is almost always clearer and more correct grammatically than it was when it was first posted.

deafartist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Netherlands
'She got up from the desk' in the sense of 'she got up from the desk at which she had been sitting' is possible, but I understand why you made you change.

@deafartist
februar's profile shows that s/he is not a native speaker, and s/he always makes it clear in her/his first post that s/he is not a teacher. You must therefore not expect 100% accuracy. However, proofreading takes a lot of time, and februar is one of the few people in the forum who regularly makes an effort to help out. Writing after correction by februar is almost always clearer and more correct grammatically than it was when it was first posted.

Thank you for your explanation. Are you a English teacher? Are you a native English? I saw your profile that you live in Czech Republic.

yes I am not a native language. I am still studying English skills. I wondered whether the books by known authors who write English have been corrected with the help of proofreaders, right? Or sometimes not?

i am looking forward to hear from you. thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.