Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hello teachers
I have two questions. What is the meaning of words underlined bellow.? Is it Idiom?

I wept, I pleaded, I fell on my knees and begged him. All he did was box my ears and order me out of the house.

Thanks in advance

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello teachers
I have two questions. What is the meaning of words underlined be[STRIKE]l[/STRIKE]low.? 'Bellowing' is what a bull does. The stress changes too; below - /bɪ'ləʊ/, bellow - /'beləʊ/. Is it an Idiom? Yes, but an archaic one. I haven't heard it used - except in a jocular context - since my childhood. I'm not sure if the 'boxer' forms a fist, as a boxer would. And s/he hits the ears in a not over-vigourous way (stern, but loving). 'Ears' are the only possible object of this sort of 'box', in my experience. You couldn't, for example, 'box someone's elbow'.

I wept, I pleaded, I fell on my knees and begged him. All he did was box my ears and order me out of the house.

Thanks in advance

b

jebonfikri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Oh..sorry for my mistakes. Thank you for your explanation. I found it in the novel published in 1984. So this idiom cannot be use anymore in this era. Right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So this idiom cannot be use anymore in this era. Right?

Wrong.

There's nothing to stop you from using the idiom, but don't carry out the action or you could find yourself in deep spit.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.