• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

at all in postive

Quote from VOA news:
    "Children have a natural preference for sweets, more so than adults. On the other hand, as adults, we choose what to put in front of our children," said Farley.
    Farley notes that obesity rates in America began rising about 30 years ago, as many people traded physical labor on farms and factories for sedentary office jobs.
    Farley says the New York childhood obesity rate is still at 20 percent. But New York's decline goes against a rising national trend. And the health commissioner is heartened that the rate has fallen at all for the first time in decades - 10 percent among five and six year olds - which gives him reason to believe some youngsters will adopt lifelong habits of healthy eating.
    My questions:
    1.Should there be a "should" before "choose"?
    2. What does "trade" mean, how do people trade one job for another?
    3."at all" is mostly used in negative statements, in the news " at all" is used in postive context, so what does it mean?
    Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: at all in postive

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    1.Should there be a "should" before "choose"? It's possible, but it changes the meaning.
    2. What does "trade" mean, how do people trade one job for another? http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/trade, meaning #13
    3."at all" is mostly used in negative statements, in the news " at all" is used in postive context, so what does it mean? http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dic...english/at-all , meaning b.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

[QUOTE=masterding;837346]Quote from VOA news:
    "Children have a natural preference for sweets, more so than adults. On the other hand, as adults, we choose what to put in front of our children," said Farley.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) As the moderator said, "should" would change the meaning.

(2) In my opinion, this is the difference.

(3) We adults choose what we put in front of our kids.

(a) That is just a fact. The parents always choose what city

to live in and whether to live in a house or apartment.

(4) If you used "should" or "ought to," that would mean

that it would be a good idea if we chose what we put in

front of our kids. Such a sentence gives the idea that maybe

the parents are NOT choosing the food at this time. Well, if

the parents are not choosing the food, then are the children?

But if the children are very young, they obviously cannot

choose anything. That is why the writer said that we adults

choose the food. Because we do. There is no "should" or

"ought to."

(P.S. In real life, things are a little different. Some parents take their children -- who are not too young -- to the supermarket and then tell them: Go choose your dinner!
    The kids then choose a frozen dinner that pleases them. When they get home, Mom throws the frozen dinner into the
    oven. And everyone is happy!)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

1.My understanding is that this news is talking about childhood obesity , and the main cause of that is sweet foods, so we adults should choose not to put too many sweet foods in front of children. without "should" ,it seems to me like because adults choose what to put in front of children(put too many sweet foods in front of children), which (the fact) causes childhood obesity .
    2.I knew "trade" means "exchange" in this context. What I don't understand is that how can people exchange one job for another, job is not goods ,if you want to do one job ,you have to be capable of doing it. Say I'm a farmer, and I don't wanna be a famer, so I exchange it for a white-collar, how's that possbile?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

NOT A TEACHER

(1) You have raised two EXCELLENT points.

(2) Yes, you are correct: adults "should" choose healthful foods. But the word "should" is an OPINION.
    And Mr. Farley was just stating a FACT. He was not giving his opinion. For example, many people drive like idiots. That is a FACT. Of course, it is my OPINION that people SHOULD NOT drive like idiots.

(3) I think that the other point may just be a matter of vocabulary. When English speakers use the words "exchange" or "trade" jobs, they do NOT really mean "exchange" or "trade." For example, if Ms. Smith is a secretary, she cannot say: "I'm tired of being a secretary. Tomorrow I will trade/exchange this job for a job as a computer repairperson." Actually, that paragraph meant that people gradually changed their way of making a living. For example, I have read that many people in your country are leaving the countryside (farms) and moving to your magnificent cities. Well, they are doing what Americans have already done and are continuing to do: move from the farms to the cities. Americans have "exchanged" farm work for city work. In other words, they have chosen another way of making a living.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by TheParser View Post
    (P.S. In real life, things are a little different. Some parents take their children -- who are not too young -- to the supermarket and then tell them: Go choose your dinner!
    The kids then choose a frozen dinner that pleases them. When they get home, Mom throws the frozen dinner into the
    oven. And everyone is happy!)
    I don't know ANYONE who does this!

MasterDing - please don't use false words like "wanna" in a forum dedicated to learning about the correct use of English. Thanks.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

MasterDing - please don't use false words like "wanna" in a forum dedicated to learning about the correct use of English. Thanks

I'm awfully sorry, I didn't mean to ,I didn't even notice it myself, maybe it just came habitually. It will never happen again.
    Thank you.