Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Hi, all

I was wondering..would there be a word that describes a boy "who likes to fool around with many different girls", who has gotten sexually curious as he hits puberty; a word that can be said half-jokingly without hurting his feelings?

"Womanizer" doesn't seem to cut it as it rather seems to be used to describe someone older and more mature.

Can you help me find words less serious than that?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi, all

I was wondering..would there be a word that describes a boy "who likes to fool around with many different girls", who has gotten sexually curious as he hits puberty; a word that can be said half-jokingly without hurting his feelings?

"Womanizer" doesn't seem to cut it as it seems to be used to describe rather older and mature males.

Can you help me find words less serious than that?

Thanks a lot.
A PC term might be "juvenile sex abuser". In the English-speaker world this is something that is taken seriously as incorrect behaviour, so finding less serious terms might be difficult, and discussing them would present similar obstacles.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Thanks for your thoughts.

"Abuser" or any kind words with the connotation of criminality seems way too harsher a word to use in the context.

I am simply trying to describe a boy who likes to hang out with different girls a lot because he is getting more sexually active as he grows up.

Would coming up with one of those long composite words (I don't know what it is called) made of a bunch of words put together using "hyphens" be the only viable option I have?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I can't think of a simple term in Aust/NZ Eng. for the boy you describe, but a phrase might be something like "he's a budding ladies' man" or "he's a young chat-up merchant".
I would describe such a character as "eternally hopeful" :)

not a teacher

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
I can't think of a simple term in Aust/NZ Eng. for the boy you describe, but a phrase might be something like: "he's a budding ladies' man" or "he's a young chat-up merchant".
I would describe such a character as "eternally hopeful" :)

not a teacher

a ladies' man... I think that's a keeper.

Let me ask you (or any other English Kungfu masters out there) a sort of follow-up question.

Say, if I wanted to tweak one of the viable suggestions that have been gratefully suggested so far in a way that the last name of the boy gets included in the expression (say his last name is Rooney), how should I go about accomplishing that?

My best shot at it is "Hey Rooney you ladies' man"

Does it sound natural or would there be better way to phrase it?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
OK, "randy little bugger" would have worked here a few years ago. It occurred to me after your first post, but I might have misinterpreted your "who likes to fool around". Of course, it's not to be taken literally. It's probably Aussie slang.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
OK, "randy little bugger" would have worked here a few years ago. It occurred to me after your first post, but I might have misinterpreted your "who likes to fool around". Of course, it's not to be taken literally. It's probably Aussie slang.
That would have been worked in BrE a few years ago - and probably today. I say 'probably', because I am not sure - it's several years since I knew any boys in that age-range.

Preceptor

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hate to descend into slang, but in America you would shout, "Hey, Rooney, you horny bastard."

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
young Casanova

Status