Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 341
    #1

    off of

    Is there anyone out there who uses 'off of?'

    Take the sentence, "I can't take my eyes off of you," for example.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #2

    Re: off of

    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayanime View Post
    Is there anyone out there who uses 'off of?'

    Take the sentence, "I can't take my eyes off of you," for example.
    Yes, I'm sure there are people who use it.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 341
    #3

    Re: off of

    So in the end the 'off of' couldn't be considered incorrect?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #4

    Re: off of

    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayanime View Post
    So in the end the 'off of' couldn't be considered incorrect?
    I didn't say that. It would be considered incorrect by some.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 341
    #5

    Re: off of

    What about the usage of 'off of' as 'from'.For instance:

    I downloaded the patch off of the company's website.

    I downloaded the patch from the company's website.

    Are these sentences correct?

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #6

    Re: off of

    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayanime View Post
    What about the usage of 'off of' as 'from'.For instance:

    I downloaded the patch off of the company's website.

    I downloaded the patch from the company's website.

    Are these sentences correct?
    I wouldn't use the first one.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: off of

    Some people would consider the first incorrect. I would say only the second.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Malta
      • Current Location:
      • Romania

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 341
    #8

    Re: off of

    Thank you for replying.
    This the last one which I came across:

    ' "The ball bounced off of from the rim." ( I have heard this phrase from a sports commentator, in a movie).Is this really acceptable?

  5. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,596
    #9

    Re: off of

    Quote Originally Posted by allthewayanime View Post
    Thank you for replying.
    This the last one which I came across:

    ' "The ball bounced off of from the rim." ( I have heard this phrase from a sports commentator, in a movie).Is this really acceptable?
    No, it's not.

  6. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: off of

    That one is completely unacceptable.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •