Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

I used the word petrolhead the other day, but the people, to whom I was speaking did not know of that word. So I tried to come up with another word meaning the same thing, but I really just could not. So I am just curious to find out, other words that have got (almost) the same meaning as petrolhead.

I am using the word petrolhead meaning a car fanatic (IMO a condescending term).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

I have seen the word "gearhead" used before. I don't know whether it is a well known term.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there

I used the word petrolhead the other day, but the people, to whom I was speaking did not know of that word. So I tried to come up with another word meaning the same thing, but I really just could not. So I am just curious to find out, other words that have got (almost) the same meaning as petrolhead.

I am using the word petrolhead meaning a car fanatic (IMO a condescending term).

The term "motorhead" is used for persons interested in hands-on car repair and maintenance.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Ah ok.

So can you conclude that "petrolhead" is BrE and "gearhead" is AmE respecitvely?

Status
Not open for further replies.