• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Post Memorize synonyms and antonyms

Respected Teacher, I want to know a good method to memorize synonyms and antonyms. I know I need to increase my vocabulary first. But i don't know any effective and fast way to increase the vocabulary. Please show me some direction.
    Any small help from your side could be really big for me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Re: Memorize synonyms and antonyms

Generally, it's not a good idea to memorise synonyms and antonyms out of context. Try to focus on differences and collocations, There are two dictionaries that I can recommend to you:the Longman Language Activator and Oxford Learner'sThesaurus. They have arranged synonyms and give accurate definitions and examples that help you to distinguish between similar words.Plus, read widely on various topics and use the dictionaries routinely and your vocab will improve by leaps and bounds!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by paul.moss View Post
    Generally, it's not a good idea to memorise synonyms and antonyms out of context. Try to focus on differences and collocations, There are two dictionaries that I can recommend to you:the Longman Language Activator and Oxford Learner'sThesaurus. They have arranged synonyms and give accurate definitions and examples that help you to distinguish between similar words.Plus, read widely on various topics and use the dictionaries routinely and your vocab will improve by leaps and bounds!
    Thanks a lot paul.moss.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

As paul.moss said, learning new vocabulary is not recommended out of a context. The best way is to learn them in an understandable context like classified short stories. Just go for the ones that best fit your level.
    A very good way I can draw your attention to is to associate new vocabulary with your own life, personality or, in general, things / people around you. It always works. I mean you should personalize the new words. In this way, you can learn them better. Since you make an association between the new words and your own life or things around you, they (the new words) will be engraved on your mind.
    For example:
    You learn "refrigerator", then try to make a real sentence with it. If your refrigerator makes noise while working, you could make this one: "My refrigerator is noisy."
    Or anything else, it was just an example. I just made it glibly.
    Hope you like it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by English Freak View Post
    As paul.moss said, learning new vocabulary is not recommended out of a context. The best way is to learn them in an understandable context like classified short stories. Just go for the ones that best fit your level.
    A very good way I can draw your attention to is to associate new vocabulary with your own life, personality or, in general, things / people around you. It always works. I mean you should personalize the new words. In this way, you can learn them better. Since you make an association between the new words and your own life or things around you, they (the new words) will be engraved on your mind.
    For example:
    You learn "refrigerator", then try to make a real sentence with it. If your refrigerator makes noise while working, you could make this one: "My refrigerator is noisy."
    Or anything else, it was just an example. I just made it glibly.
    Hope you like it.
    Thank you. This is an interesting way. Thank you "English freak". I think you completely enjoy English language(as your name is English freak). But I'm just a beginner.
    Last edited by Mannkavi; 29-Dec-2011 at 21:34. Reason: misspelled beginner

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Mannkavi View Post
    Thank you. This is an interesting way. Thank you "English freak". I think you completely enjoy English language(as your name is English freak). But I'm just a beginner.
    Hello, Mannkavi. I would like to congratulate you on your English. In the three posts you wrote in this thread, I haven't found any glaring mistakes.

I recommend reading anything that is written in good English and interests you. It's a very good way of learning new words and phrases!

Good luck!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Mannkavi View Post
    Respected Teacher, I want to know a good method to memorize synonyms and antonyms. I know I need to increase my vocabulary first. But i don't know any effective and fast way to increase the vocabulary. Please show me some direction.
    Any small help from your side could be really big for me.
    It's sad people are still looking for fast short-cuts. Memorizing vocabulary is nearly useless. You only remember the words in terms of the list, and the list is completely out of context.

When you're in context, in life, you won't remember most of the words on your lists.

The only real way to learn more vocabulary is to speak and read, and love what that brings you, gradually building yourself into a fluent English speaker.

No tricks will work.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Hello, Mannkavi. I would like to congratulate you on your English. In the three posts you wrote in this thread, I haven't found any glaring mistakes.

I recommend reading anything that is written in good English and interests you. It's a very good way of learning new words and phrases!

Good luck!
    Thank you Birdeen's call.
    One more thing I want to know, is there any way to check the sentence for grammatical misake, online?
    The fear of incorrection demotivate me. I desperately need a way to check myself, to check my grammar. When I don't know what I'm writing is correct or incorrect, how could I improve it.
    I'm really confused, please show me some direction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    It's sad people are still looking for fast short-cuts. Memorizing vocabulary is nearly useless. You only remember the words in terms of the list, and the list is completely out of context.

When you're in context, in life, you won't remember most of the words on your lists.

The only real way to learn more vocabulary is to speak and read, and love what that brings you, gradually building yourself into a fluent English speaker.

No tricks will work.
    @Konungursvia
    Sorry Konungursvia. Maybe my method of putting that ques. was wrong but I'm not looking for any short-cuts. I just wanted to know, what I should do to learn more words fastly. And as u said I need to use different words in my daily life, I think that's the best way to build vocabulary.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Mannkavi; 02-Jan-2012 at 21:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Memorising words is one thing, but it is important to know how to use them- simply having a big vocabulary doesn't mean that you will speak well. Many students who try learning a lot of words use them all the time to display their knowledge, and their language is often cluttered with misused words as a result. Also, learning all the forms a word can have can be an economical way to expand your vocabulary.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast