Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
Is "what's been up?" a common way of greeting?

Thanks

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) What have you been up to?

(2) What's up?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'What's up?' appears to be quite commonly used as a greeting among friends and colleagues by the Americans I have worked with. It sounds strange to my (elderly) British ears.

To me 'What's up?' means 'What is going on/what has been going on?/what's the problem?'

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
'What's up?' appears to be quite commonly used as a greeting among friends and colleagues by the Americans I have worked with. It sounds strange to my (elderly) British ears. Very informal and used, I think, mostly by younger people. I've never used it this way.

To me 'What's up?' means 'What is going on/what has been going on?/what's the problem?' I hear this, and occasionally use it, in this sense.
Henry

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's been parodied in some commercials, as "Waaaazzzzzzuuppp?"

How do your elderly ear feel about "How's it going?"

For what it's worth, I see these two expressions as pretty much identical.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Perhaps it's another BrE vs AmE difference, but I am now used to hearing "What's up?" to mean "How are you?" or "What's happening in your life?"

However, if I heard "What's been up?" I would assume that the speaker was talking to someone who had already said that recently they had not been well, or that they had been very unhappy.

- Hi, how are you?
- I'm OK, I guess. I've had a bad few months.
- Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. What's been up?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
It's been parodied in some commercials, as "Waaaazzzzzzuuppp?"

How do your elderly ear feel about "How's it going?"

For what it's worth, I see these two expressions as pretty much identical.
To me "How's it going" is different to "What's up". "What's up" suggests to me "What's wrong/what's the problem?" "How's it going, by contrast, means "How are you/How are things in your life? It's the same in French "Comment ça va?", which is very common, is a direct translation of "How's it going?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wasn't clear in my earlier post. I agree that "What's been up?" requires a situation where it makes sense and a genuine desire to know what has been going on.

I meant that "What's up?" and 'How's it going?" are more or less the same, and neither really expect an answer.

I also saw my typo, and didn't mean to imply that 5jj and Van Gogh had anything in common regarding the number of ears they possess.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I meant that "What's up?" and 'How's it going?" are more or less the same, and neither really expect an answer.

I feel the same difference as bhai, and I also feel that both require an answer. I used to be somewhat surprised when Americans would say one of those two to me, and then walk on without waiting for a response.

I also saw my typo, and didn't mean to imply that 5jj and Van Gogh had anything in common regarding the number of ears they possess.
Happy New Y....

Oh d...! It's not just me and VG. I f...it's catching.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Happy New Y to you too.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) What have you been up to?

(2) What's up?

Or more recently among the (much) "younger" generation, and much simpler, " 'sup?"

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I feel the same difference as bhai, and I also feel that both require an answer. I used to be somewhat surprised when Americans would say one of those two to me, and then walk on without waiting for a response.
I experienced exactly the same feeling when I was asked by a fellow colleague like 'Hello. How are you?' and as I opened my mouth to reply 'I am fine. How are you?', he just slid away. At the other hand I have other mates who would expect an answer from me in this situation.
So, I feel like sometimes you just go 'What's up? -What's up? Transmission. No regret.' while the other time when you are speaking to a person who really cares about your matters you are supposed to give some information about this.

Happy New Year!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Some people do just say "Hi. How are you?" as a polite greeting without having any genuine interest in your wellbeing. I would consider it rather rude, though, if they walked away without waiting for any answer at all.

Being British, we're very good at saying "How are you?" without really caring what the answer is, and answering "I'm fine" even when we're not.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I experienced exactly the same feeling when I was asked by a fellow colleague like 'Hello. How are you?' and as I opened my mouth to reply 'I am fine. How are you?', he just slid away. At the other hand I have other mates who would expect an answer from me in this situation.
So, I feel like sometimes you just go 'What's up? -What's up? Transmission. No regret.' while the other time when you are speaking to a person who really cares about your matters you are supposed to give some information about this.

Happy New Year!

As rude or as uncaring as it might seem, it is quite common to hear an exchange in the U.S. such as: (Person A) "How ya doin' ?"/ (Person B) "How ya doin' ?"

Status
Not open for further replies.