• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question rectified coefficients

Hi everyone
    Please help me to understand this text. Are rectified coefficients some people and spies or something else?

The Soviet State Commission which "investigated" the camp
    announced on May 12th, 1945 that "Using rectified coefficients... the technical expert commission has ascertained that during the time that the Auschwitz camp existed, the German butchers exterminated in this camp not less than four million citizens..." Reitlinger's surprisingly frank comment on this is perfectly adequate: "The world has grown mistrustful of 'rectified coefficients' and the figure of four millions has become ridiculous" (ibid, p. 460).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: rectified coefficients

I think "coefficient" is a mathematical term. From the rest of the piece, it appears that someone has tried to use some mathematical formula (a rectified coefficient) to give the misleading impression that at least four million people died at Auschwitz.

I have to say I'm not clear whether the suggestion is that the figure of four million is suspected as being too low or too high (by either the writer of the piece or by someone he is quoting).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Thanks
    But would you plese explain more. Which coefficent could author mean?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by ARAM View Post
    Hi everyone
    Please help me to understand this text. Are rectified coefficients some people and spies or something else?

The Soviet State Commission which "investigated" the camp
    announced on May 12th, 1945 that "Using rectified coefficients... the technical expert commission has ascertained that during the time that the Auschwitz camp existed, the German butchers exterminated in this camp not less than four million citizens..." Reitlinger's surprisingly frank comment on this is perfectly adequate: "The world has grown mistrustful of 'rectified coefficients' and the figure of four millions has become ridiculous" (ibid, p. 460).
    A few seconds Googling "rectified coefficients" would have given you your answer immediately!
    Spies?
    I have no clue what it actually means (being neither a mathematician nor an engineer) but it this context it appears to be academic jargon for some method of deriving statistics.