• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

superhero persona

Before I start the thread, I'd like to say happy new year to our dear teachers, and to every English learner from all across the world, wish you all a healthy and prosperous new year.

Quote from VOA News:
    You've probably heard of "superheroes" - crime fighters possessed of incredible powers, their identities masked behind colorful costumes. Justice-seekers such as Superman, Batman and the Green Hornet.

They're make-believe vigilantes - private citizens avenging evil deeds and subduing violent criminals.

One of latest citizen vigilantes is a 23-year-old Seattle man, Benjamin Fodor, who - wearing a black mask and matching full-body outfit and conveniently followed by a videographer - confronted a man who was menacing another person.. "Phoenix Jones," as Fodor called his superhero persona, doused the aggressor with pepper spray - but later also sprayed some rowdy partygoers and was arrested for assault.

My questions:
    1. Can I replace “possessed of ” with “possessing” or “ who possess”? Is there any difference between “be possessed of” and “possess”?
    2. I think that “justice-seekers” refers to “superheroes” just like “crime fighters”. But the punctuation before “justice-seekers” is a period, which indicates the end of the sentence and the start of a new sentence , and makes “justice-seekers” seem not related to “"superheroes". And besides, “Justice-seekers such as Superman, Batman and the Green Hornet.” doesn’t seem like a complete sentence. Should it be a comma instead of a period?
    3. I think “persona” means part of your personality that you show people. But Fodor actually called “Phoenix Jones”, Does "Phoenix Jones” here means a heroic personality instead of a person?
    Thanks .

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: superhero persona

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    Before I start the thread, I'd like to say happy new year to our dear teachers, and to every English learner from all across the world, wish you all a healthy and prosperous new year.
    Thank you. Happy New Year to you.
    1. Can I replace “possessed of ” with “possessing” or “ who possess”? .....Yes
    Is there any difference between “be possessed of” and “possess”?
    ...'Be possessed of' is rather formal. Otherwise there is no real difference.
    2. [...] Should it be a comma instead of a period?.....Yes
    3. "Phoenix Jones” here means a heroic personality instead of a person? His persona is the side of his character that he presents to the public. We often have different personae, and we may give them different names. For example, Professor Postule in the classroom , Sergeant Postule in the TA drill hall (Territorial Army (United Kingdom) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), and 'Daddy' at home, will speak, act and dress in different ways, but they are all the same persona.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

3.So does that mean the name of Fodor's persona is "Phoenix Jones"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by masterding View Post
    3.So does that mean the name of Fodor's persona is "Phoenix Jones"?
    Yes. As a "normal" person, he is Benjamin Fodor but as his "superhero persona" he is known as "Phoenix Jones".

Clark Kent's superhero persona is known as Superman.