Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Doesn't "handful" have to be corrected to "He is a handful", does it?

From a workbook,
A smillar expression to "He is the black sheep of the family" is
ex)He is a troublemaker = He is handful = He is a naughty boy.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"He is a handful" is correct.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But those expressions are not even close to the same in meaning!

You use handful or naughty for small children. Someone who is the black sheep is an adult whose lifestyle doesn't comport with the rest of the family.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
BarbD is absolutely right. I got carried away with the "handful" part and completely forgot that the question was about "the black sheep of the family".

That phrase is usually used to describe a member of the family whose behaviour is not liked for one reason or another! They might take part in criminal activity or some deviant sexual practice, or simply do something that the rest of the family disapproves of. Frequently, the rest of the family don't even talk about the "black sheep", they might pretend that he/she doesn't exist and have no contact with that person.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
BarbD is absolutely right. I got carried away with the "handful" part and completely forgot that the question was about "the black sheep of the family".

That phrase is usually used to describe a member of the family whose behaviour is not liked for one reason or another! They might take part in criminal activity or some deviant sexual practice, or simply do something that the rest of the family disapproves of. Frequently, the rest of the family don't even talk about the "black sheep", they might pretend that he/she doesn't exist and have no contact with that person.
"some deviant sexual practice" :shock:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
baaaaaaaaah. ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should point out that I am not equating deviant sexual practices with illegal activity (although of course sometimes there is an overlap) but sadly I'm sure some families would disown a member of the family based on their sexual preference, or refer to them as the "black sheep".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a colleague who has a PhD. He's very respected in his field and leads an important segment of our company. He jokingly says he's the black sheet of his family because his father and all three of his brothers are medical doctors.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
But those expressions are not even close to the same in meaning!

You use handful or naughty for small children. Someone who is the black sheep is an adult whose lifestyle doesn't comport with the rest of the family.
Is it only for adult family members not children as well? A juvenile delinquent can be regarded as so probably, I guess. In Korean we have a similar expression like "He is an abandoned child of the family" to mean the family doesn't care about him any more, so he is like kicked out of the family. I wonder if this makes similar sense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't heard it used for anything other than adults.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
As Barb says, "a handful" is most commonly used in reference to kids, but sometimes to adults that are difficult to deal with, as in the film "Almost Famous" where the hotel receptionist says:

a) Is this Mr. Miller?
b) Yeah.
a) You have a message from Elaine. Your mother. She's a handful.
b) I know.
a) She freaked me out.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.