Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
Hi,

I sometimes don't get the use of indeed. When a cnn reporter says "thank you very much indeed..." It doesn't make any sense in French.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

I sometimes don't get the use of indeed. When a cnn reporter says "thank you very much indeed..." It doesn't make any sense in French.
That's because he's not speaking French. If he were, he would choose a different word.
You've posted a few threads lately ('odd', machine translations) that indicate that you think there is a word for word translatability between languages, and that if you can translate every word in a sentence, you have a good sentence in the target language.

Is that how you think language works? It would save you a lot of puzzlement to know that it doesn't.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

NOT A TEACHER

(1) May I add a few points to the moderator's very helpful link?

(2) First, it might be worth remembering that "indeed" was originally

two words: in + deed. (A "deed" is something like an action.)

(3) You say that it does not make any sense in French. I do NOT know

even a word of French, but I have a French dictionary that says that

vraiment means truly/ in truth/ indeed/ really.

(4) So I guess that CNN reporter wanted to say something like:

I thank you from my heart./ Please have no doubt about the sincerity and

depth of my gratitude.

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
That's because he's not speaking French. If he were, he would choose a different word.
You've posted a few threads lately ('odd', machine translations) that indicate that you think there is a word for word translatability between languages, and that if you can translate every word in a sentence, you have a good sentence in the target language.

Is that how you think language works? It would save you a lot of puzzlement to know that it doesn't.

I know that a sentence can't be translated word by word. In the case of "yes indeed", it's understandable in French. The "thank you very much indeed" sounds redundant for me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I know that a sentence can't be translated word by word. In the case of "yes indeed", it's understandable in French. The "thank you very much indeed" sounds redundant for me.

The other point I should have been making is that if you want to learn English, you need to get out of the habit of asking yourself whether it would make sense in French.

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil
The other point I should have been making is that if you want to learn English, you need to get out of the habit of asking yourself whether it would make sense in French.

Easier said than done, especially when I have to translate sentences to people who do not understand a single word in English.;-)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It is a little redundant, but it's like saying "Thank you much. I really mean it -- I appreciate it greatly."

It emphasizes that the thanks are not pro forma, but are genuine.

bieasy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Belgium
Current Location
Brazil

By the way: "redundant for me" or "redundant to me"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
By the way: "redundant for me" or "redundant to me"?
"sounds redundant to me" would be better. There is often a choice between "for me" and "to me", but with "sounds", it sounds to you to be redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.