Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello ,

I'm here trying to write some lyrics for a song . I wanted to know what's the correct way :

roll around your tongue OR roll your tongue around .

I mean I know the second one is more common ! But is it possible to use the first one as well ???

Thank you so much !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello ,

I'm here trying to write some lyrics for a song . I wanted to know what's the correct way :

roll around your tongue OR roll your tongue around .

I mean I know the second one is more common ! But is it possible to use the first one as well ???

Thank you so much !

I'm not sure what you mean by either of them, but song lyrics are very forgiving. You can pretty much say anything you like!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
More context would help. Are you moving your tongue, or moving something with your tongue, or ...?

peyman_sal

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
thank you for answering .
I 'm using it as an imperative form in a sexual contest ! a sex-criminal is talking to his victim !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
thank you for answering .
I 'm using it as an imperative form in a sexual context ! a sex-criminal is talking to his victim !

I don't want to sound like a prude but I won't be giving any more assistance in helping you write a song about a sex crime.

peyman_sal

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm not sure what you mean by either of them, but song lyrics are very forgiving. You can pretty much say anything you like!

that's what I thought ! but as non native english speaker sometimes it's hard to cross the line !

peyman_sal

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I don't want to sound like a prude but I won't be giving any more assistance in helping you write a song about a sex crime.

really ? don't you think you're kind of overreacting ? I mean what if the song's definitely critisizing/analyzing it?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Really ? don't you think you're kind of over-reacting ? I mean what if the song's definitely criti[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE]cizing/analyzing it?
With the amount of context you gave initially, I think most of us would feel that emsr2d2's reaction was natural and normal. Personally, I feel it was quite restrained.

Status
Not open for further replies.