[General] What is the meaning of "lays"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokbon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi?

Ted: And ever since then she’s been signing him up for book clubs, cooking classes...)
Barney: All the things you do when you know where your next thousand lays are coming from.
(This is from How I met your mother S1, EP5)

What is meaning of "lays" in this context?

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Unless he's referring to sex, I couldn't tell you what that means. I'd need to watch the episode and hear it for myself.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi?

Ted: And ever since then she’s been signing him up for book clubs, cooking classes...)
Barney: All the things you do when you know where your next thousand lays are coming from.
(This is from How I met your mother S1, EP5)

What is meaning of "lays" in this context?

I'm pretty sure he is talking about sex. Without the entire context it's difficult to know, but I think he's referring to the fact that signing up to book clubs and cookery classes are the kind of things you do when you don't need to spend your free time looking for someone to have sex with. I guess the subject of the conversation is probably married and therefore he knows that the next thousand times he has sex, it will be with his wife. He doesn't need to worry about who he's going to have sex with next as that part of his life is all sorted out. Therefore, he has time to do things like go to book clubs and cookery classes. The suggestion is that single people don't have time to do stuff like that because they're always out trying to get laid (have sex).

"A lay" is an informal (slang?) term for "an instance of sexual intercourse".

- Where's your next lay coming from?
- No idea. I'm going out partying tonight so I'm sure I'll track my next lay down in one of the bars.

It's more AmE than BrE I think and I don't think it's a particularly nice term.

Status
Not open for further replies.