• Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

true to the time / another body

Hello teachers,

I am working with a text in which I have come across the following expressions and I am not sure what they actually mean, could you help please?

1. the expression "TRUE TO THE TIME"

Among his greatest memories is volunteering his time, early in the mornings, to teach students the technique of realistic painting, providing an opportunity not available in the regular high school curriculum. It was a role he relishes to this date, but true to the time, one that many school administrators and teachers in the union could not understand or disagreed with.

I was thinking about something like "it was confirmed/proved over a certain period of time". But it does not fit in the context, does it?

2. the expression "ANOTHER BODY AMONG PEOPLE"

It was a matter of showing how I and other artists identify with this movement. And to identify, you've got to be there and show what you do. But I was there as another body among the people, the 99 percent, when they marched to City Hall.

Does he mean that he was there as someone else? Or on the contrary, that he felt he was one of the mob? What about the 99 percent? Sounds strange to me.

Thank you very much for your help!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: true to the time / another body

Quote Originally Posted by marvan View Post
    Hello teachers,

I am working with a text in which I have come across the following expressions and I am not sure what they actually mean, could you help please?

1. the expression "TRUE TO THE TIME"

Among his greatest memories is volunteering his time, early in the mornings, to teach students the technique of realistic painting, providing an opportunity not available in the regular high school curriculum. It was a role he relishes to this date, but true to the time, one that many school administrators and teachers in the union could not understand or disagreed with.

I was thinking about something like "it was confirmed/proved over a certain period of time". But it does not fit in the context, does it?

No, it means that he really enjoyed teaching realistic painting but at that period in history that was something that many school administrators and teachers did not understand or agree with. The teachers in the union when he was teaching went along with that view and did not understand or agree with the teaching of realistic painting. They were "true to the time" - they fitted in with the feelings of other people in that period of history.

2. the expression "ANOTHER BODY AMONG PEOPLE"

It was a matter of showing how I and other artists identify with this movement. And to identify, you've got to be there and show what you do. But I was there as another body among the people, the 99 percent, when they marched to City Hall.

Does he mean that he was there as someone else? Or on the contrary, that he felt he was one of the mob? What about the 99 percent? Sounds strange to me.

I think he just means he was there, he was just another body (nothing special) among the large mass of people. Perhaps 99% of all artists marched on City Hall that day. The percentage part is not clear.

Thank you very much for your help!
    See above.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Thank you very much for these explanations. All clear now :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

What about the 99 percent? Sounds strange to me.

During the recent "Occupy" protests around the world, the demonstrators identified themselves as representing the 99% of the population who were protesting the concentration of wealth and influence enjoyed by the elite 1%. They propose that the 99% are individually suffering more than their share of economic pain in a situation that is seen by many to have been caused by the 1%.

not a teacher

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Slovak
      • Home Country:
      • Slovak Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Slovak Republic

Very well! Thanks so much JMurray for making all clear now :)