NOT A TEACHER
(1) I think the key to the answer lies in the words "they often left the back door unlocked."
(2) Would most of us do that? I don't think so.
(3) Palo Alto is near San Francisco. I hear that most of the people there are
members of higher-income groups. They are not the kind of people to commit
crimes (such as breaking into other people's homes).
(4) Thus, Messrs. Jobs and Powell "fitted in" very easily. They became accustomed
to the customs there and felt comfortable and relaxed. We can assume that their
neighbors did not lock their back doors, either.
(5) For example, I would not dare walk on the streets of my city at night. I hear that
there is a country in Asia (no names, of course) that has so little crime that people
can walk around at midnight without fear. If I went there, I think that I would quickly
"fit in," i.e., walk around the city at night without the slightest fear.
Student or Learner