Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, that's it! To make logical/mathematical sense, it should say "500, no more."
"No more" isn't a flowing colloquialism! Also it doesn't make sense. It actually means the opposite.

"He had shot down 270 planes, no less!'

(He had shot down 270 planes, no more!)
:-?

Reminds me of the story from The Moon's a Balloon.

David Niven was working with Fritz Laing (?) who, although German, prided (prouderized?) himself on his grasp of English. He was also notoriously paranoid. One day he noticed Niven with his head together with his co-star and Laing, assuming they where whispering about him, sprang to intervene.

Hey you - I know you are talking about me. You think I don't know." He paused to collect his colloquial speech . . . "You think I know f*ck nothing. But I tell you - I know f*ck all!"

Same thrust with .... "270, no more!" - it actually means something quite different from your intention.

English - funny old language, innit.

R

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"No more" isn't a flowing colloquialism!

I never said it was. I said using "no less" as a flowing colloquialism is a poor choice of expressions when you are talking about numerical values and you actually mean "no more" numerically.

RobMasters

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Yes, that's it! To make logical/mathematical sense, it should say "500, no more."
I'm astonished you censored my reply which disagreed with the last post. I shall be more aware in future . . .
R

Status
Not open for further replies.