Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
[not a teacher]

This topic was discussed (hotly) back in 2009 in this forum. However the discussion terminated in two gentlemen (mostly contributing to that particular thread) agreeing to disagree. This falls far short of my expectations of what this forum is for. :-(

I see eye to eye with Svartnik who explained that

'Take an umbrella in case it rains" means roughly the same as "Take an umbrella whatever the weather is at the time of your departure, against the possibility that it may rain later on'

and

'Take an umbrella in case of rain" means roughly the same as "Take an umbrella only if it actually rains at the time of your departure'

In other words

'in case something happens' means 'against the possibility of something happening' (precaution)

'in case of something' means 'if something happens' (condition)

Is this view on things correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
[not a teacher]

This topic was discussed (hotly) back in 2009 in this forum. However the discussion terminated in two gentlemen (mostly contributing to that particular thread) agreeing to disagree. This falls far short of my expectations of what this forum is for. :-(

I see eye to eye with Svartnik who explained that

'Take an umbrella in case it rains" means roughly the same as "Take an umbrella whatever the weather is at the time of your departure, against the possibility that it may rain later on' Yes.

and

'Take an umbrella in case of rain" means roughly the same as "Take an umbrella only if it actually rains at the time of your departure' No, not necessarily.

In other words

'in case something happens' means 'against the possibility of something happening' (precaution)

'in case of something' means 'if something happens' (condition)

Is this view on things correct? No.
Bhai.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Take an umbrella in case it rains" means roughly the same as "Take an umbrella whatever the weather is at the time of your departure, against the possibility that it may rain later on'

Yes, that is what it means.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This falls far short of my expectations of what this forum is for.
There are many questions in for which there are no absolute answers. It is better to agree to differ than to waste a lot of time trying to prove the unprovable.

This is a general point, not aboui 'in case (of)' in particular.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
agreeing to disagree. This falls far short of my expectations of what this forum is for.
Then most likely we're going to have to agree to disagree. ;-) Trying to get two people to agree on anything is like herding cats.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, "in case of rain" could mean "in case the weather report calls for rain", which then would be precaution, not condition.

And for the record, I think the conditional sense in this context to be slightly nonsensical. Rain is mercurial*; suggesting an umbrella is presupposing the person does not know the weather forecast, not that they can’t tell it’s raining right now.

*Can weather be “mercurial”?

Last edited:

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There are many questions in for which there are no absolute answers. It is better to agree to differ than to waste a lot of time trying to prove the unprovable.

This is a general point, not aboui 'in case (of)' in particular.

Thanks, but in this case my persistence paid off. Now I have learned the error of my ways whereas the study of the past thread of the same title left me in the dark.

JarekSteliga

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Also, "in case of rain" could mean "in case the weather report calls for rain", which then would be precaution, not condition.

This wins me over completely.

I promise myself to stick to the good old unambiguous 'if' in cases when I want something done once a given condition is actually met. Then perhaps 'herding cats' will be that little bit less hopeless...

Then again, the fire fighting instructions had better use 'if there is a fire' in place of 'in case of fire' to prevent people from stashing hotel fire fighting equipment under their beds just against the possibility of an inferno...

Status
Not open for further replies.