Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
hi ,
please i have read "vowel sound are longer when they are consoned sound and when the're stressed "

what is the meaning of stressed
thank you

yousrati

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
:) Hello,

As far as I know, « Stressed » means « Stress » . Cambridge dictionary have defined the stress as: a word or syllable pronounced with greater force than other words in the same sentence or other syllables in the same word, or a musical note is played with greater force than others in a group. That is you make more effort to produce (or articulate) the sound stressed. For example: In the word “table” /ˈteɪ.bl ̩/ the stress is in the primary position. Note that in “but” /bət/ the /ə/ is never stressed.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please give your threads more helpful titles. "Meaning of 'stressed'?" would have been good for this.

I do not understand this: "vowel sound are longer when they are consoned sound". Where did you hear/read this?

light86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
hi thank you for your help in my course of prounication it said that pretty it is not stressed

i've not understand
thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]h[/STRIKE] Hi. [STRIKE]t[/STRIKE] Thank you for your help. [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] In my [STRIKE]course of [/STRIKE][STRIKE]prounication[/STRIKE] pronunciation course [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] they said that 'pretty'[STRIKE] it[/STRIKE] is not stressed'.

[STRIKE]i've not understand[/STRIKE] I didn't/don't understand.
'Pretty' is stressed on the first syllable.

Please begin your sentences with a capital letter and end them with a full stop (period).

akianemelly

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hello,
I suggest you bring some corrections to your request if you don't mind of course. To my knowledge, vowel sounds are said to be lengthened if followed by a voiced consonant but not when they are stressed. the short vowel /æ / in the word 'dad' is considered long because it is followed by the voiced sound /d/ but when followed by a voiceless /t/ as in cat, the vowel is said to be extra short pronounced in a very quick way. please let me know if this is of any help to you. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
To my knowledge, vowel sounds are said to be lengthened if followed by a voiced consonant but not when they are stressed. the short vowel /æ / in the word 'dad' is considered long because it is followed by the voiced sound /d/ but when followed by a voiceless /t/ as in cat, the vowel is said to be extra short pronounced in a very quick way. please let me know if this is of any help to you. ;-)
That might be what light86 meant; if so, it is helpful, but not totally accurate.

The short vowel /æ / is always a considered a short vowel. When it is followed by a voiced vowel, it is indeed longer than when it is followed by an unvoiced vowel, but it is still shorter than its closest long vowel equivalent followed by a voiced vowel.

Status
Not open for further replies.