Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

this appeared on Yahoo Sports:

A newspaper typo surrounding Baron Davis’ herniated disc causes all sorts of laughter - Ball Don't Lie - NBA*Blog - Yahoo! Sports

It shows the photo of a newspaper clipping of a news story in The Charlotte Observer, with part of one word covered with whiteout.

Davis is recovering from a herniated d**k. (The ** is covered with whiteout)

Under the photo of the clipping, it says:
In case you
still
don't get it, a few letters from the word "disc" were jumbled up underneath our tasteful whiteout of a word most commonly used to refer to a member of the male anatomy, or David Caruso's character in "Jade."

I understood the first part of the above sentence, although the reference to David Caruo's character in Jade was lost on me.

It seems like a Freudian slip/parapraxis.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the sub-editor who wrote the caption was misled by the word 'herniated' - which just means something like 'ruptured'. But even 'ruptured' (which just means something like 'herniated' ;-)) tends to be associated with a particular sort of rupture regarded in some circles as in a shameful area.

Once his/her mind was derailed by 'herniated', it was easy to get 'disc' wrong , especially if there was a typo in the copy: 'dikc' (transposing letters on a QWERTY keyboard that use the same finger on L and R hands).

b.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I think the sub-editor who wrote the caption was misled by the word 'herniated' - which just means something like 'ruptured'. But even 'ruptured' (which just means something like 'herniated' ;-)) tends to be associated with a particular sort of rupture regarded in some circles as in a shameful area.

Once his/her mind was derailed by 'herniated', it was easy to get 'disc' wrong , especially if there was a typo in the copy: 'dikc' (transposing letters on a QWERTY keyboard that use the same finger on L and R hands).

b.

@BobK, wow, that is quite a (psycho)analysis! :) :up:
You psychoanalyst you! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.