Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Many states have, or are developing, tests ------- their students' proficiency in state frameworls of carriculum.

1)assessing 2)to assess 3)for assessing 4)to assessing

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you think? You know that we like you to try first.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What do you think? You know that we like you to try first.
I'd say all are correct except 4.But it asked for 1 correct choice.Only 1

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree - as far as the verb is concerned.

I don't like ' in state frameworls of carriculum.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sorry sir, I realized that the complete paragraph is:

Most states have, or are developing, tests to assess their students? proficiency in state frameworks of curriculum. Many of these states are including students with limited English proficiency in this assessment process, but a significant number of LEP students have difficulty passing these standardized tests. In this website, Longman is pleased to provide additional practice for LEP students by offering sample standardized reading tests for grades 1 to 8. The reading tests provided here are a combination of multiple choice, short-answer, and long-answer questions. The short-answer and long-answer questions are designed to have students process the information in the passage, analyze it, and organize it for the answer. In this way, these practice questions test students? analytical abilities, not just comprehension.

I took it from
ActiveNet - Online Recreation Activities

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think 1 & 2 work, though I prefer 2.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please do not post 'reminders'- it's impolite. People come in as volunteers to help- they also come in from many different time zones and have other concerns, like work and family.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Please do not post 'reminders'- it's impolite. People come in as volunteers to help- they also come in from many different time zones and have other concerns, like work and family.

OK.But I posted yesterday as got no answer.But reminder is not very forceful.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
People who are about to respond would be put off by your reminders.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As Tdol explained, it's not very polite. Like tedtmc, I am often put off by reminders. If I am giving up my free time to answer questions, I do not react well when people remind me that they are still waiting. Waiting for what - for me to deal with them more quickly?

I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing, but I will not be pushed. I'll just move elsewhere and deal with someone who is waiting patiently.

Last edited:

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As Tdol explained, it's not very polite. Like tedtmc, I am often put off by reminders. If I am giving up my free time to answer questions, I do not react well when people remind me that they are still waiting. Waiting for what - for me to deal with them more quickly?

I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing, but I will not be pushed. I'll just move elsewhere and deal with someone who is waiting patiently.

I didn't know you would be so much off-put after reading the reminder......But what if some1 has forgotten about my thread?it had been gathering dust...

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hooshdar
You should have put it in a more subtle and polite way then, instead of 'giving a reminder'.

Learning a language also includes learning to say things in a polite way or you get misunderstood as being pushy or rude. ;-)

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I do not expect gratitude for doing what I enjoy doing....

Well, I do (sorry to disagree 5jj).

I have told you at least twice before, hooshdar3, that saying "please" and "thank you" are essential in learning English and understanding the cultures of the English speaking world. People are less apt to respond to questions simply thrown at them without a modicum of civility or politeness (see your first post).

I will no longer be responding to your posts. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
John

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I didn't know you would be so much off-put after reading the reminder......But what if some1 has forgotten about my thread?it had been gathering dust...
This point has been addressed, but you are still pushing it. So be it. I join the departing crowd.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Well, I do (sorry to disagree 5jj).

I have told you at least twice before, hooshdar3, that saying "please" and "thank you" are essential in learning English and understanding the cultures of the English speaking world. People are less apt to respond to questions simply thrown at them without a modicum of civility or politeness (see your first post).

I will no longer be responding to your posts. Best of luck in your future endeavors.
John

Oh, pleaase don't leave me.

I will wait for your answers, but I didn't know you would consider a simple reminder rude. If so, Why would you regard an advice "gratifying" and a reminer "rude"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.