don'cha = don't you ? If so, "cha" is the dialect of "you"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

Reminds me of the story of the British Lord visiting America for the first time. He was asked by an ignorant Yank if he were British. His Lordship answered:

"Why, if I were any more British you couldn't understand me at all, don'cha know."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's just a way of writing down the pronunciation used of don't you.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
J

J&K Tutoring

In spoken English, when a final t is followed by an initial y, the two syllables are linked together and spoken as a ch.

"Aren't you going to school today, Johnny?" sounds like: "Arn choo going..."
"Naw, I went yesterday." sounds like: "...I wen chesterday."

In the same way, a final d and an initial y make a j sound.

"Have you had your morning coffee?" sounds like: "Have you hajer morning coffee?"
"I read your report," sounds like "I rejer report."

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In spoken English, when a final t is followed by an initial y, the two syllables are linked together and spoken as a ch.

"Aren't you going to school today, Johnny?" sounds like: "Arn choo going..."
"Naw, I went yesterday." sounds like: "...I wen chesterday."

In the same way, a final d and an initial y make a j sound.

"Have you had your morning coffee?" sounds like: "Have you hajer morning coffee?"
"I read your report," sounds like "I rejer report."

Cool.
Gracias.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Aren't you going to school today, Johnny?" sounds like: "Arn choo going..." - This is exactly how I say it.

"Naw, I went yesterday." sounds like: "...I wen chesterday." - This is not how I say it. It sounds more like wen' yesterday. I tried others such as "I ate yogurt", doesn't come out like "I a-chogurt", more like "I aid yogurt". Any idea why?
Any

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wouldn't say a "ch" in those cases either. I think it may be a matter that this phenomenon only happens with the word "you." (or perhaps with the "ooo" sound)

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Is 'want' is pronounced something like 'watch/?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No- it would sound more like 'wanch'. "I want you to stand up." would sound like "I wanchoo to stand up."

Or "I wancha to stand up" which I guess is for "want ya".

J

J&K Tutoring

Dear All-
Looks like I should clarify my point. It may not always sound exactly as I wrote it, and exceptions are always possible. On-line forums are full of those who are looking to post a "Yes, but..." Almost always with good intentions- above posts included with respect- but sometimes they miss the point.

Non-native speakers try very hard to say each and every word as if it must stand alone and be annunciated carefully, and that's what instantly marks them as non-native speakers. Native speakers do not do this. They link words together in ways very different from how the words are written. Syllables are put together that are separated in writing, vowels are dropped, ts turn into ds, etc.

It's impossible to use written characters to perfectly represent spoken language, but that's the tool we have, so we do the best we can with it.

I enjoy the spirited exchange of ideas in this forum, and I appreciate it when I am corrected.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
No one on the thread used the IPA, which would have represented all of the sounds in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.