Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    You must be more motivated.

    a is the answer for this question, but my student asked me if d could be an answer, but I said because of comparison of "more motivated", it can't be an answer. Maybe "You must motivated" can be an answer, but I'm not sure, What do you think?

    M:I'm studying for tomorrow's exam. I can't slack off
    W:________a________
    a.Keep your nose to the grindstone
    b.Provided it's part of the lecture notes.
    c.Ask a classmate to explain the material
    d.You must be more motivated.
    Last edited by keannu; 06-Jan-2012 at 11:53.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Jan 2012
    • Posts: 61
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: You must be more motivated.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    a is the answer for this question, but my student asked me if d could be an answer, but I said because of comparison of "more motivated", it can't be an answer. Maybe "You must motivated" can be an answer, but I'm not sure, What do you think?

    M:I'm studying for tomorrow's exam. I can't slack off
    W:________a________
    a.Keep your nose to the grindstone
    b.Provided it's part of the lecture notes.
    c.Ask a classmate to explain the material
    d.You must be more motivated.
    "Keep your nose to the grindstone" is an informal expression. It means "to work in earnest". So I don't think d can be an answer.

    'a ' isthe answer to this question.
    You like 'but' so much.

    not a native speaker; not a teacher;

  2. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: You must be more motivated.

    Quote Originally Posted by dut_thinker View Post
    "Keep your nose to the grindstone" is an informal expression. It means "to work in earnest". So I don't think d can be an answer.

    'a ' isthe answer to this question.
    You like 'but' so much.

    not a native speaker; not a teacher;
    There must be another reason why d can't be an answer.

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,885
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: You must be more motivated.

    Clearly the student IS motivated. He has just said he's studying and can't slack off.

    A: I'm in the midst of a 5-mile walk.
    B1: Youl should get more exercise. -- Does that make sense?
    B2: Keep on going! -- That makes sense.

    In your examples, D would be like B1. Why tell someone they need more motivation when they are right in the midst of doing what needs to be done? A is like B2 - a word of encouragement to keep at it.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: You must be more motivated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    Clearly the student IS motivated. He has just said he's studying and can't slack off.

    A: I'm in the midst of a 5-mile walk.
    B1: Youl should get more exercise. -- Does that make sense?
    B2: Keep on going! -- That makes sense.

    In your examples, D would be like B1. Why tell someone they need more motivation when they are right in the midst of doing what needs to be done? A is like B2 - a word of encouragement to keep at it.
    Does this "must" mean "obligation(have to)" or "certainty" in this context?

    M:I'm studying for tomorrow's exam. I can't slack off
    d.You must be more motivated.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,885
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: You must be more motivated.

    Obligation. LIke the "should in my example.

    If it was a certainty, it the "more" wouldn't make sense.

    You must be a very motivated student! -- THAT would make sense, because I'm commenting that based on my observation of you, it's the only logical conclusion. You're studying hard, you're obviously self motivated.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

Similar Threads

  1. How can i get motivated?
    By missEnglish in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20-Oct-2005, 13:58

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •