Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What's the name of a store in which you can buy photo films (those old sensitive analogue films which response to light like Kodak,) albums, pictures, etc.?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If they're still available, I think you would find such things in a camera shop.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
So what's the meaning of a photo shop? What can you buy there?
By the way what can you buy in a camera shop?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I can't find the word 'camera shop' as a title in my dictionaries, would you plz say the name of a store in which a professional photographer takes your photo for business or art?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I can't find the word 'camera shop' as a title in my dictionaries, would you plz say the name of a store in which a professional photographer takes your photo for business or art?
A professional photographer probably works in an office or studio, not a shop, and he will probably not sell you film. But your original question asked about buying film. What is it you really want to know?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
= But your original question asked about buying film. What is it you really want to know?
Here it's a picture in my book, a picture of a store which has film packages and some CDs or albums on the shelves and the question is 'Where does John work?' (John is a clerk in this shop)

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We'd probably say, He works at (for example) "Entertorama". People who know the name of the store would know what it sold. People who didn't know would ask about it.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
not a teacher

Where I am, the shops which sell film usually do printing of photos as well. The same shops may also provide photography services. They are called photo shops/camera shops/photography shops.

Last edited:

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
not a teacher

Where I am, the shops which sell film usually do printing of photos as well. The same shops may also provide photography services. They are called photo shops/camera shops/photography shops.
I found non of them in my dictionaries. Thanks,

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found non of them in my dictionaries. Thanks,

When we combine two words to make a whole new phrase, you won't find the phrase in your dictionary.

If you look up "shop" it will give you the definition. If you look up "cake", you will find the definition. If you see "cake shop", you have to do some work for yourself and work out that it is a shop which sells cakes.

The sort of shop you describe sounds like a general entertainment shop if it sells CDs and DVDs etc. In the UK, that kind of shop doesn't normally sell photographic equipment as well.

A camera shop sells cameras and all the related equipment - film, tripods, cases, lenses etc.

A professional photographer usually works from a studio where he takes photos and works on them, but it is very unlikely that a professional photographer would sell film and camera equipment from his studio.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There are fewer and fewer camera shops here, but they sell cameras, film, tripods. light meter, photo albums, etc. They print and replicate existing pictures. But they do NOT take your picture and do not have a photo studio in house. To have your picture taken, you'd go to a photographer's studio.

As for a place that sells music CDs as well as film... that's an odd combination here.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here it's a picture in my book, a picture of a store which has film packages and some CDs or albums on the shelves and the question is 'Where does John work?' (John is a clerk in this shop)

With only this description, one could easily answer any of the following:

• A camera shop (sells mostly cameras and photog accoutrements. BTW, I would never call it a “photo shop”. For me, that means exclusively the Adobe software, or photos manipulated by it)
  • A record store (sells mostly music CDs)
  • A discount store / 99 cent store (sells odds and ends, mostly small items)
  • A Walmart (the world knows what this is, right? :))
  • A drug store (a pharmacy, sells mostly personal items and medication)
  • A corner market (small mom and pop grocery)
If you could post the picture, it would probably be clear what the answer is to a native speaker. Also, it is a little confusing because most stores don't sell actual “film” anymore, in light of the proliferation of digital photography.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I recently saw film being sold for the first time in years- it appears that (some) divers are still using it.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Tdol! Thanks, I used to be interested in photography, so I saw some people who believed in analogue technology and stuff.

5jj.! Thanks, What's the meaning of 'Entertorama' anyway? I couldn't find it anywhere.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Tdol! Thanks, I used to be interested in photography, so I saw some people who believed in analogue technology and stuff.

5jj.! Thanks, What's the meaning of 'Entertorama' anyway? I couldn't find it anywhere.

It would be a good name for a shop which sells a wide range of entertainment products. When "-o-rama" is added to the end of something, it suggests a large-scale production of some kind, or just something huge. If you entered an exhibition hall where there were 10,000 cakes on display, you might say "Wow, it's a cake-o-rama!" That could even be the name for the exhibition.

So "Entert-o-rama" would be a large shop selling hundreds (thousands?) of entertainment products.

I don't know if it's a real shop somewhere or if 5jj made it up.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So "Entert-o-rama" would be a large shop selling hundreds (thousands?) of entertainment products.

Oh, I thought it was a shop selling gates, hatches, and doors and doorways. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.