Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    As Janus stands in the doorway

    I think this "as" means "because" judging from the context, but the translation goes "when", so it's confusing. What do you think?

    ex)Janus, the Roman god of doorways, reminds us of the importance of seeing the past and looking toward the future. The pictures of Janus show eyes, nose, and mouth on both the front and back of his head. The reason for showing him like this is to show that a doorway is both an entrance and exit. As Janus stands in the doorway - the present - he can look forward and backward at the same time. The month of January is named after Janus, as it indicates the end of the old year and the beginning of a fresh new year....

  2. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    While he stands in the doorway. At the time when he stands in the doorway.

    The same "as" as in "As you approach the summit, you'll be able to see..."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  3. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    While he stands in the doorway. At the time when he stands in the doorway.

    The same "as" as in "As you approach the summit, you'll be able to see..."
    Thanks a lot for every answer you've given me, it's been a great help because of you.
    But in this case, why can't it be "because"? It's always confusing to select one of so many meanings of "as".

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    But in this case, why can't it be "because"? .
    It could mean 'because'. I agree with Barb's interpretation, but the other is possible. However, I feel that if the writer had intended this meaning, s/he would probably have use 'because' or 'since'

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 18,886
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    I do agree that the "because" meaning possible. but does he spend ALL of his time in a doorway?

    If he moves around, then "when" he stand in the doorway, he can see...
    If he's always depicted in a doorway, then "because" he stands in the doorway, he can see...

    If he is temporarily standing in a doorway, you'd say "Because he is standing in the doorway..."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  6. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    This may not be so important as the meaning can vary depending on the truth of Janus and what the writer intended. But Janus is called the god of beginnings and transitions, so I think his location is vital in his name. I think he must be located in doorways or gates. I think the writer intended "since, because" in high chance.

    Janus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "....In ancient Roman religion and mythology, Janus is the god of beginnings and transitions,[1] thence also of gates, doors, doorways, endings and time. He is usually a two-faced god since he looks to the future and the past. The concepts of January and janitor are both based on aspects of Janus...."

  7. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I think this "as" means "because" judging from the context, but the translation goes "when", so it's confusing. What do you think?

    ex)Janus, the Roman god of doorways, reminds us of the importance of seeing the past and looking toward the future. The pictures of Janus show eyes, nose, and mouth on both the front and back of his head. The reason for showing him like this is to show that a doorway is both an entrance and exit. As Janus stands in the doorway - the present - he can look forward and backward at the same time. The month of January is named after Janus, as it indicates the end of the old year and the beginning of a fresh new year....
    I agree with you that both interpretations of "as" are valid in the case of "As ...stands..." In fact, the "since" meaning is really just an extension of the "when" meaning, metaphorically; this means that in some cases, they're actually both correct, two sides of the same coin as it were.

  8. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,160
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I agree with you that both interpretations of "as" are valid in the case of "As ...stands..." In fact, the "since" meaning is really just an extension of the "when" meaning, metaphorically; this means that in some cases, they're actually both correct, two sides of the same coin as it were.
    Thanks a lot, I've always told my students that other meanings are variants of the the original meaning like in "while" to mean "in different aspect" that comes from "during the time".
    original)While I was in New York, I studied arts (during the time)
    extension)While he like apples, I like peaches(In contrast to, derived from original meaning)
    You made me realize "as" also has the same function for me to memorize and understand the various meanings well.
    BTW, I'm just curious about your Japanese costume symbol, does it represent something? Just curious without anything special intended.

  9. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,125
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Thanks a lot, I've always told my students that other meanings are variants of the the original meaning like in "while" to mean "in different aspect" that comes from "during the time".
    original)While I was in New York, I studied arts (during the time)
    extension)While he like apples, I like peaches(In contrast to, derived from original meaning)
    You made me realize "as" also has the same function for me to memorize and understand the various meanings well.
    BTW, I'm just curious about your Japanese costume symbol, does it represent something? Just curious without anything special intended.
    I just love Mifune Toshiro as an actor, especially as Yojimbo and Musashi Miyamoto.

  10. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,135
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: As Janus stands in the doorway

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I just love Mifune Toshiro as an actor, especially as Yojimbo and Musashi Miyamoto.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. As with Janus
    By keannu in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Dec-2011, 07:02
  2. As it so stands
    By AlexAD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2011, 12:55
  3. [Vocabulary] What does the cold stands for?
    By jirickova in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Jun-2010, 14:31
  4. all that stands
    By user_gary in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2007, 08:23

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •