Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can you replace "was obssessed with" by "was captured with"? I think probably "was captured by" can make a similar sense, can't it?

ex)He was obssessed with(was captured with) thinking that he had to be good at every subject.

J

J&K Tutoring

He was obssessed with (was captured with) thinking that he had to be good at every subject.

In the example given, I really think that obsessed is the best choice. IMHO, captured with never quite works. I think that captivated by is the phrase you're looking for as a potential alternative, but again, not in the given example.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
He was obssessed with (was captured with) thinking that he had to be good at every subject.

In the example given, I really think that obsessed is the best choice. IMHO, captured with never quite works. I think that captivated by is the phrase you're looking for as a potential alternative, but again, not in the given example.

I found this definition of capture in the dictionary, so maybe "The puppets captured younger audiences" is not possible, that's why "Younger audiences were captured by the puppets" doesn't work. As you said, "capture" is for attention/imagination/interest , not people, right?
Another question, when you said "captured with never quite works", did you intend "work" as "be effecftive" or "have results" or "workable" or whatever?

ex)MAKE SB INTERESTED | ~ sb’s attention/imagination/interest
They use puppets to capture the imagination of younger audiences

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Another question, when you said "captured with never quite works", did you intend "work" as "be effec[STRIKE]f[/STRIKE]tive" or "have results" or "workable" or whatever?
keannu, go away for a couple of hours and consider your question. Then ask yourself, "Was there really any point in asking that question?"

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
keannu, go away for a couple of hours and consider your question. Then ask yourself, "Was there really any point in asking that question?"

It's because there are three similar meanings defined in the dictionary like the following, they're all similar, so when translating to Korean, I have a hard time.

1. HAVE RESULT/EFFECT - bring about effects you need
ex)The pills the doctor gave me aren't working
2. Have result/effect- influence (special) effects( or work)
ex)Your age can work against you in this job.
3. Have result/effect -bring about some results
ex)You can work miracles with very little money if you follow our home decoration tips.

Maybe 1 and 3 are almost identical and they're tranlsated as the same meaning of "to bring effects", but 2's "work"'s translation is delicately different, it's more like "working" not influencing. So that's why I asked the delicate difference, but it may not be useful as you indicated. I was just curious if there's any delicate difference.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I did suggest a couple of hours, not 38 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.