Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Which one of these two is correct?

I resent my colleague's getting that promotion before me.
I resent my colleague getting that promotion before me.

If both are correct then please tell me the circumstances in which each of them could be used.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Effectively, for most people, there is no real difference. Some people prefer one form, some the other.

Some people feel that there is a difference in meaning. They feel that it is the getting of the promotion that is being resented in #1; such people usually use 'of' after 'getting', considering it to be a 'verbal noun'. They feel that it is the colleague who is being resnted in #2 (for getting the promotion); they do not use 'of' after 'getting', considering it to be a gerund (verbal noun).

vkhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Effectively, for most people, there is no real difference. Some people prefer one form, some the other.

Some people feel that there is a difference in meaning. They feel that it is the getting of the promotion that is being resented in #1; such people usually use 'of' after 'getting', considering it to be a 'verbal noun'. They feel that it is the colleague who is being resnted in #2 (for getting the promotion); they do not use 'of' after 'getting', considering it to be a gerund (verbal noun).

ok, that's a little bit confusing. Maybe I should give you the original question that baffled me:

Rewrite using resented:
"Anna didn't like it at all when one of her colleagues got the promotion instead of her."

Answer key:
"Anna resented one of her colleagu.....etting the promotion instead of her."

The "....." part is blurred. I can't see if it is colleagues or colleagues'

In this case, which one is more acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.