• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

20 Sutton Place South

Dear all,

A lady says "Today, we are going to see an apartment at 20 Sutton Place South"

I got that "South Place South" is a name of a place, but I still can't get this "20" is it a number of a street? or the number of the building where the apartment located?

Because "Sutton Place South" on the sign is accompanies with the number 53. It's a bizarre!

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: 20 Sutton Place South

I imagine that the address of the building is 53 Sutton Place South and within that building there are many apartments. They are going to see Apartment 20.

However, I could be completely wrong! Maybe they are just standing outside number 53 and she is saying that they are going to go and see number 20.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • China

Most cities will have some system for naming and numbering addresses, but they vary. If you are lucky, the system may be quite logical.

For example, I used to live in a small city in the US. It was divided north and south by a state highway, and divided east and west by a small river. Every street west of the river was named ____ street, and every street east of the river was named ____ avenue. Thus, if you needed to find 123 North Adams Street, then you knew that it was in the Northwest quarter of the city in the second block north of the dividing street.

My guess for 20 Sutton Place South is that there is a street named Sutton Place that runs north and south through the city, and the number 20 (or 53) you want is on Sutton Place (street), just south of the major dividing street- whatever that might be. It's only number 20/53, so must be near the divider. Each block south (and north) of the dividing street will be progressively numbered 1--, 2--, 3--, etc. so you know how many blocks south (or north) to go, or what will be the cross street.

Keep in mind that this system is only in place in relatively newer cities. Old cities are often very confusing and chaotic, so no hope- you just have to ask a native.
    Last edited by J&K Tutoring; 08-Jan-2012 at 02:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you told me to go to "20 Sutton Place" then "20" should be the number in front of the building. The "street address."

Is it possible that the complex if called "Sutton Place," and therefore the 20 is the apartment number and the complex itself is located at "53 Something Else Street"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Well, if this was real not fictional, both 20 Sutton Place South, New York and 53 Sutton Place South, New York exist.

My only guess is that they couldn't find a photo of number 20 for the piece, so they used a photo of number 53 of the right street and then the speaker simply said that later they would be going to look at number 20.

Without knowing the context, it's hard to guess. Can you tell us what you were reading/watching? Or post a link to the sign that you referred to in your original post?