Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,
Would you please tell me the right opposite of the word''updated''?

When looking for it on the internet, I found ''outdated'' and ''downdated''; but, can we say an outdated website or news?

Thank you in advance: )

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There isn't an opposite of "updated" or "to update". Do you perhaps mean "up-to-date"? If so, then "out of date" or "outdated" are probably the closest.

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
There isn't an opposite of "updated" or "to update". Do you perhaps mean "up-to-date". If so, then "outdated" is probably the closest.
Thank you so much, teacher.
I meant a non-updated website that don't provide the latest information, and it's always late when dealing with new one.

Regards,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much[STRIKE]teacher[/STRIKE].

I meant a non-updated website [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] which [STRIKE]don't[/STRIKE] doesn't provide the latest information, and [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] is always late when dealing with new one (new one what?).

Regards.

A website which has not been updated for a while could be "out of date" or simply "not up-to-date". That is working on the assumption that there are updates which should have been made. Just because a website hasn't been updated for a while doesn't necessarily mean that it's out of date. Perhaps all the information on it is still valid. However, if you know that there are updates that should have been made, then "not up-to-date" or "out of date" would be appropriate.

If I were emailing a website owner to complain about this aspect of their site, I would probably write "I notice that your website does not appear to be up-to-date. It has not been updated since July 2011 and some of the information on it is clearly out of date."

As you can see, there are several phrases which would all be appropriate in specific parts of the message.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
....if you know that there are updates that should have been made, then "not up-to-date" or "out of date" would be appropriate

Thank you for the well detailed answer.

I meant a non-updated website that which don't doesn't provide the latest information, and it's is always late when dealing with new one (new one what?).
Would you please tell me why have you dropped ''it is''? because I've used the comma to separate the two independent clauses since we've more than one finite verb and each clause can stand alone.

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I meant a non-updated website which doesn't provide the latest information, and is always late when dealing with new one (new one what?).

You simply don't need to say "it". It is a non-updated website which 1) doesn't provide the latest information and 2) is always late with new information.

If you remove point number 1, you are still left with: It is a non-updated website which is always late with new information.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please tell me the right opposite of the word''updated''?

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Here are some examples from Google "books":

(a) "Updates can go un-updated."

Source: Windows - Spring 2008.

(b) "I have left the book un-updated."

Source: Southeast Asia, by Mr. Chong-Yah Lim.

(c) "Reduction in land disputes arising from missing or un-updated records."

Source: Land Information in Kenya, United Nations Centre for Human Settlements, 2001.

(2) If you will type "un-updated" in the "books" section of Google, you will find

many other interesting examples.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Thanks to all of you for the clarification. As always, your help is much appreciated.

Best regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.