Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I was wondering if "smetana", a borrowing from Slavic and Scandinavian languages, is commonly in English speaking countries to mean sour cream or creme fraiche?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not to me, no. And sour cream and creme fraîche aren't the same thing to me. I know the word "smetana" but probably only from visits to certain countries.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not to me, no. And sour cream and creme fraîche aren't the same thing to me. I know the word "smetana" but probably only from visits to certain countries.

Did you ever see a dairy product labeled "Smetana" in other English speaking countries? I've been told by a Brit that you might come across a dairy product labeled "smetana" in some British grocery stores. It's used to omit the negative connotation "sour creme" conveys since it might sound to some people that the product is off.

suikerbossie

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Italy
Did you ever see a dairy product labeled "Smetana" in other English speaking countries? I've been told by a Brit that you might come across a dairy product labeled "smetana" in some British grocery stores. It's used to omit the negative connotation "sour creme" conveys since it might sound to some people that the product is off.

Have a look at this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smetana_(dairy_product)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

You might see it on imported goods, but it's not a common term in BrE. I haven't seen it in the UK. Mind you, I don't eat much sour cream. ;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My Dad's parents were born and raised in Czechoslovakia, and even though he was born in the US, he still often peppered his conversation with Czech words and phrases from his youth. For example, the lamb-shaped butter we always bought at Easter he called by its Czech name ("baranya" is the closest I can get in English spelling). But he never referred to sour cream as anything other than sour cream.

Interestingly enough, years ago I was the host of a small US-based fan club convention that had attracted a few visitors from the UK. One of the dessert items in the buffet line was Strawberries Romanoff, which included a healthy serving of sour cream in the recipe. One our British visitors approached me after taking a second helping of the dessert and asked me what type of cream was mixed with the strawberries, as it was delicious and he'd never tasted anything quite like it. "It's sour cream," I replied. He almost dropped his dessert dish in horror. "You mean it's spoilt?!" I assured him that it was safe to eat and was a common ingredient used in many dishes. I wondered at the time if perhaps sour cream was called by a different name in England, or was it just not very popular?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard of the term. Sour cream is sour cream.

Status
Not open for further replies.