Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
This is my first post on this forum!! I am applying to law school and they asked for a motivational letter in english. The topic was

• Why have I chosen to apply to this programme?
  • What do I expect to gain from my studies?
  • Why does my background make me a suitable candidate?
  • How will the programme help me to achieve my goals?
This is what I have so far, do you guys see any major mistakes, or parts that you would change?

I have chosen to apply to this program because after carefully examining its curriculum, I have come to the conclusion that this program will prepare me for the kind of career I want in the future. What is extremely important for me is that the university, the program and its faculty have an outstanding reputation both in Finland, as well as in Europe. After much research, I have found this to be the case with your institution.
I am expecting to acquire a high level of understanding of law and justice in the European Union as well as around the world. I expect this program to give me the tools to succeed in practicing law in an international setting, in a very global world.
I am a suitable candidate for this program because of my educational background, my character and my life experiences. Having already acquired a bachelors degree in Business Administration from the United States, I have an understanding of what it means to live and study in an international atmosphere. During my four years at -------------(name of college) I have understood that I want to pursue an international career in law. The fact that I will have college degrees from both business and law will give me very appealing career opportunities in the future.
The fact that I have lived in so many different countries during my life has made me to a very independent as well as a hard working person. I know how hard it is to study in a school when you at the same time are trying to understand a new language and learn to live in a new culture. I believe these experiences truly set me apart from the other candidates. They have also made me realize that with hard work I can achieve my dream of both studying and practicing international law.
This program, both because of its international character and its location in a dynamic, European capital city make it an outstanding opportunity for me to achieve my goals.
Thank you very much for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.
Faithfully
------(my name)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is my first post on this forum!! I am applying to law school and they asked for a motivational letter in english. The topic was

• Why have I chosen to apply to this programme?
  • What do I expect to gain from my studies?
  • Why does my background make me a suitable candidate?
  • How will the programme help me to achieve my goals?
This is what I have so far, do you guys see any major mistakes, or parts that you would change?

I have chosen to apply to this program because after carefully examining its curriculum, I have come to the conclusion that this program will prepare me for the kind of career I want in the future. What is extremely important for me is that the university, the program and its faculty have an outstanding reputation both in Finland, [STRIKE]as well as [/STRIKE] and throughout [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] Europe. After much research, I have found this to be the case with your institution.
I [STRIKE]am expecting [/STRIKE] expect to acquire a high level of understanding of law and justice in the European Union as well as around the world. I expect this program to give me the tools to succeed in practicing law in an international setting,and in a very global world.
I [STRIKE]am a[/STRIKE] consider myself to be a suitable candidate for this program because of my educational background, my character and my life experiences. Having already acquired a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from the United States, I have an understanding of what it means to live and study in an international atmosphere. During my four years at -------------(name of college) I have [STRIKE]understood[/STRIKE] realized that I want to pursue an international career in law. The fact that I will have college degrees [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in both business and law will give me very appealing career opportunities in the future.
The fact that I have lived in so many different countries during my life has [STRIKE]made me to a very independent[/STRIKE] helped me to become independent as well as a hard working person. I know how hard it is to study in a school when you, at the same time, are trying to understand a new language and learn to live in a new culture. I believe these experiences truly set me apart from [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] other candidates. They have also made me realize that with hard work, I can achieve my dream of both studying and practicing international law.
[STRIKE]This[/STRIKE] Your program, both because of its international character and its location in a dynamic, European capital city make it an outstanding opportunity for me to achieve my goals.
Thank you very much for considering my request. I look forward to your positive response.
Faithfully
------(my name)

Nice work. A few suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.