• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Plagiarism

Unaware we rewrite incorrect information and contribute to their dissemination.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Plagiarism

Welcome to Using English

I'm afraid I'm not sure how we can help you.

Are you asking us to correct your sentence? If so, I'm sorry to say I don't understand it. Can you try to write it again using other word?
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

(Not a Teacher)

Plagiarism is copying some or all of another person's work and claiming it as your own.

There are plenty of online dictionaries, however. Did you try any of those first?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by aniabelchic View Post
    Do you mean that sometimes, when plagiarising someone else's work, you inadvertently help to disseminate incorrect information? If you don't know that the original piece is incorrect and you go on to post that information yourself without checking it and without making any changes, you have helped to spread that incorrect information.

If so, you need a comma after "Unaware" and to change "their" to "its" as "information" takes the singular.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by aniabelchic View Post

NOT A TEACHER

(1) As Vic told us, when you plagiarize, you copy material from other sources without

giving credit to who wrote it, and your readers think that the writing is your own writing.

(2) Your sentence means something like this:

When we plagiarize, sometimes we do NOT know that the information is false,. so

we repeat the false information. That means that more and more people will read the

false information.

(a) As you know, the United States has 50 states. Before the 1950's, it had only

48 states. Let's say that an old book says "The United States, which is located

between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, has 48 states." Let's say that a student

in another country is asked to write an article for her school newspaper. Let's say that

she goes online and copies (plagiarizes) that complete sentence without telling her

readers where she got that information. Well, when they read her article, they will now

think that the U.S. has 48 states. She has passed on the false information to more

people.

(i) That is why history books often have false information. Some historians just

copy from other historians. And so false information passes from historian #1 to

historian #2 to historian #3, etc.

(3) Some students are dishonest. When their teachers tell them to write a report on

(for example) the history of The Times newspaper, some of them will get a book,

copy all the words, and then signed the report with their name. That is plagiarism.

Of course, the teacher wanted the students to read maybe 8 books and then explain the

information in their OWN words.

(3) Here in the United States, people take plagiarism very seriously.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

But you can follow all the rules to avoid plagerism and still spread bad information.

Not plagerizing does not help you not know the information is wrong to start with.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    But you can follow all the rules to avoid plagerism and still spread bad information.

Not plagerizing does not help you not know the information is wrong to start with.
    Good point. May I ask if you have used an AmE spelling of plagiarism in your post? I have never seen "plagerism" or "plagerizing" before.