Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

I saw a press conference with the Danish Foreign Minister and the US Secretary of State, where the Danish Minister said:

"I have always been a great bewonder of American culture." (btw do you English speakers understand the meaning of it?)

Which of course in proper English is baloney. But then I heard that "bewonder" could be used as a verb meaning the same as "admire". So is that true? And would you understand if I used it?

For instance:
"I have always bewondered his footballing skills!"

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Bewonder is not in my dictionary and just typing it here activates the spell-check.
Maybe back when the Vikings were sailing the seas, bewonder was a word in current use, but I have not heard it in my lifetime.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

(1) Dictionary.com says that "bewonder" is an obsolete verb meaning "to fill with

wonder" or "to wonder at."

(2) I went to the Google "books" section and found many older references, such as:

"It is a Thing to be bewonder'd at." -- The Pilgrim's Progress (1755), John Bunyan.

(When I was a child, many of us read that book.)

"I bewonder at thy impatience." -- All the Year Round (1878), Charles Dickens.

(3) While reading the examples, I noticed that the word appears in a foreign language

which I think (repeat: "think") is Dutch. If I am not mistaken, your extremely beautiful

and delightful country of Denmark is near the Netherlands.

(4) Thank you for teaching me a new word.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Whilst bewonder is listed in some dictionaries (not all of which state that it is obsolete), it is only shown as a verb, never as a noun as it appears in post #1.

Rover

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even then, the|Danish Foreign Minister should have said 'I have always been a bewonderer...'

There are lots of be-<verb> verbs that are less archaic - such as 'behold' (less archaic, but still pretty mannered), 'beware'*, etc. Possibly these words have roots in Old Norse, and there are several faux amis of this kind in Danish.

b
PS *Dodgy example, I think, as the 'ware' bit looks Romance to me.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Whilst bewonder is listed in some dictionaries (not all of which state that it is obsolete), it is only shown as a verb, never as a noun as it appears in post #1.

Rover

That is also why I pointed to the fact that, the sentence where bewonder is used as a noun, is baloney...

But thanks a lot for the responses, as always you guys are just great, I truly bewonder you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.