• Thread starter allthewayanime
  • Start date
  • Views : 13,944
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

allthewayanime

With get out is it used of or from? For instance:

'Get out of my room' or 'Get out from my room' ?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most commonly 'of' - so 'Get out of my room'. But sometimes a 'from' just happens to follow 'out' - so you could have, say, 'He wanted to get out from under her thumb'.

b

rhapsomatrics

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I think the phrase 'out of' itself means 'from'. If this is true, then, I think, 'from' is repetitive.
Get 'out of' my room means get(away) 'from'...So,I'd rather say get out of my room or move away from...

rhapsomatrics

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
Most commonly 'of' - so 'Get out of my room'. But sometimes a 'from' just happens to follow 'out' - so you could have, say, 'He wanted to get out from under her thumb'.

b

I think get 'out from' can be used if the speaker is not in the same place as the addressee

Jane:(on phone)hello mon, I think my roof is cracking.
Mom:Omg! What are you still doing, get out from there!

He got out from the plane and started shouting.
It's over between us,get out of my life.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I think get 'out from' can be used if the speaker is not in the same place as the addressee

Jane:(on phone)hello mon, I think my roof is cracking.
Mom:Omg! What are you still doing, get out from there! "Get out of there!" would be more natural.

He got out from the plane and started shouting. "He got out of the plane..." would be more usual.
It's over between us,get out of my life.
Bhai.

rhapsomatrics

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Yoruba
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
"more natural", "more usual" .I think these expressions are a bit evasive and somewhat implicit. If you have something more academically authoritative please be kind enough to share with us. I want to learn.
Honestly, I do not think he got out of the plane sounds right. I got out of the plane is 'fine' but 'he'?
Do we conclude that 'get out from',though not particularly wrong,is a bit unconventional?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"more natural", "more usual" .I think these expressions are a bit evasive and somewhat implicit. If you have something more academically authoritative please be kind enough to share with us. I want to learn.
Honestly, I do not think he got out of the plane sounds right. I got out of the plane is 'fine' but 'he'?
Do we conclude that 'get out from',though not particularly wrong,is a bit unconventional?
I said "more natural" and "more usual" because that is what I meant. There is no grammatical rule which applies.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do we conclude that 'get out from',though not particularly wrong,is [STRIKE]a bit[/STRIKE] very unconventional?

[not a teacher]

Yes. In fact, if I heard "He got out from the plane." I would assume that I misheard that speaker, and they really said, "He got out from under the plane."

Status
Not open for further replies.