English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,
I have this exercise in a text book. My question is: Shouldn't it have a period at the end of the options? Because the book doesnt have them. Am I wrong? If yes, could you tell me why there is no period if they are asking to complete a sentence?

Circle the letter that best completes the sentences.

1. A location is
a. a town
b. a city
c. a place

2. City dwellers are people who
a. live in a city
b. work in a city
c. are always at home

Thanks in advance

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
What do you mean under "a period"? A full stop perhaps? If so, I'll try to answer your question.

There is no full stop because there is no sentence. Here we have some suggestions listed below, but however, they are not written as clear, separated sentences.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I could go either way on this.

You are specifically being asked to find the words that complete the sentence. Sentences end in a period (or other form of final punctuation) so a period would make sense.

On the other hand, I usually don't use end punctuation in a bulleted list of such short phrases.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What do you mean under "a period"? A full stop perhaps? If so, I'll try to answer your question.

There is no full stop because there is no sentence. Here we have some suggestions listed below, but however, they are not written as clear, separated sentences.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I think I got it. There is no period or full stop because it is a fragment, isn't it?

Best,
L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I could go either way on this.

You are specifically being asked to find the words that complete the sentence. Sentences end in a period (or other form of final punctuation) so a period would make sense.

On the other hand, I usually don't use end punctuation in a bulleted list of such short phrases.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I think I got it. Those short phrases are fragments, aren't they? So there is no need to use it.

Best,
L54

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrases themselves are fragments. However, they complete a sentence. Hence, they could go either way.

Let's say the questions asked you to complete the question, instead of a sentence. Which one is not a natural stand-alone question?

What time
a. should I pick you up
b. would I pick you up
c. could I pick you up
d. shall I pick you up

In that case, wouldn't you expect the little fagments to each end in a question mark? I would.

What time
a. should I pick you up?
b. would I pick you up?
c. could I pick you up?
d. shall I pick you up?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am in the same position as BarbD. When the fragment simply ends a sentence, I probably wouldn't really care whether there was a full stop or not. However, to finish a question, I would expect there to be a question mark at the end of each choice.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The phrases themselves are fragments. However, they complete a sentence. Hence, they could go either way.

Let's say the questions asked you to complete the question, instead of a sentence. Which one is not a natural stand-alone question?

What time
a. should I pick you up
b. would I pick you up
c. could I pick you up
d. shall I pick you up

In that case, wouldn't you expect the little fagments to each end in a question mark? I would.

What time
a. should I pick you up?
b. would I pick you up?
c. could I pick you up?
d. shall I pick you up?

Hi Madam,
Thank you so much for all your replies and examples.
I really have no further question about it.:-D

Best,
L54

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil

Yes. In AmE, a period is what you call a full stop.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What do you mean under "a period"? A full stop perhaps?
'Period' does not mean 'full stop' any more than 'full stop' means 'period'. This punctuation mark, '.', has various names. When it marks the end of a sentence, it is a 'period' in AmE, as riquecohen said, and a 'full stop' in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.