Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is "stay-at-home husband" same as house-husband who replaces the role of house-wife who's only engaged in housework such as cooking, cleaning, laundry, etc?

ex)Traditionally, men were the money earners in families, while women took care of the housework and brought up children. ....Now the wages of these working women are beginning to rise steadily. In fact, the woman earns more than the man in nearly a third of American households with two working parents....According to experts, this trend is partially due to the growth of American's acceptance of stay-at-home husbands. These men play an essentail family role formerly limited to women.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Quite possibly. The user might be trying to avoid the loathsome 'h....h.......' word, with which I refuse to soil my computer screen. ;-)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. "Stay-at-home mom" is a common term. "Housewife" is not considered politically correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. "Stay-at-home mom" is a common term. "Housewife" is not considered politically correct.

May I ask what the common term in the US is for someone who does not work but has no children? Stay-at-home wife? What if she's single?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Do you say "stay-at-home husband" more or "house husband" more which might sound loathsome as Bobk said?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I ask what the common term in the US is for someone who does not work but has no children?

I don't know. I just know that "housewife," is usually considered to be dismissive. As in, "oh, she's just a housewife" meaning she has no intelligence or skills to contribute.

What if she's single?

A single woman who stays at home and doesn't work? Either "unemployed" or a "single mom" is she is a mother.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you say "stay-at-home husband" more or "house husband" more which might sound loathsome as Bobk said?

I don't think I've had the occasion to use either, but would prefer the first.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think "housewife" has to be a dismissive term, but I know it can be. Of course, there are TV shows like "Desperate Housewives" that use the term.

And I agree that there really isn't one term to describe a single woman who does not work. She could be a student, she could be disabled, she could be one of the idle rich.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I may have been exaggerating a little, but as the 'hus-' of 'husband' means 'house' anyway (etymologically) prefixing it with 'house' feels to me 'wrong' on the same grounds as the more common 'PIN number' (which repeats 'number' - already present in the acronym).

b.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Call me old-fashioned but I still use "housewife" and, these days, "house husband". Mind you, I'm neither a "stay-at-home" anything nor a mother so perhaps I have no basis for being offended by related terminology.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've certainly seen "stay-at-home dad" used, but not "stay-at-home husband."

What would you call a woman who didn't work outside the home, but didn't have children to take care of? Well-provided-for, I guess. I can't imagine not wanting to have a job if you didn't have kids at home. On the other hand, my house would probably be a lot cleaner.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Call me old-fashioned but I still use "housewife" and, these days, "house husband". Mind you, I'm neither a "stay-at-home" anything nor a mother so perhaps I have no basis for being offended by related terminology.
As a male who, in my first marriage, happened (largely as a result of my own incompetence at multi-tasking) to be the one who brought in the cash while my wife ran the family, I do not have the right to tell home-and-household-running women what they should call themselves. I just note that, purely personally, I think that 'housewife' underplays the importance of the role, but 'home/household manager' depersonalises it. I have nothing better to offer :oops:.

My current role has no specific title, but is sometimes referred to, by the wage-earner, as 'sink-unblocker and bed-warmer' - in that order.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: On grounds of original meaning, fac totum ('do-all') would fit, but unfortunately 'fac totum' has aquired a menial and subservient sense.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.