Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
My grammar book says 'much' can not be used in a positive sentence to modify uncountable nouns, for example;

1. I have much money (x)
2. I have a lot of money. (o)

Then, is it safe to teach my student number 1 sentence is grammatically incorrect?
Or can I say to them it is not really matter to say 'I have much money' instead of
'I have a lot of money'?

Thx. ^^;;

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My grammar book says 'much' can not be used in a positive sentence to modify uncountable nouns, for example;
1. I have much money (x)

Then, is it safe to teach my student number 1 sentence is grammatically incorrect?
Or can I say to them it is not really matter to say 'I have much money' instead of
'I have a lot of money'? It depends on whether you want your students to learn and use correct grammar.

Thx. ^^;;

b.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

I see. Then it is safe to say "I have much money" is grammatically incorrect.

Right?

^^;;

and... one more question !

What about "I wish I had much money"? Is it also incorrect?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

1. I have much money (x)

No, it's not. It's not ungrammatical, It's just that we tend not to use it that way.
You can say, "I have much admiration for him". I wouldn't; but some do. And you'll find it novels. If any of your students read, they'll challenge you about it.

'I have a lot of money'?
Sorry, I don't follow. If you're asking whether you can say it doesn't matter, then no you shouldn't say that either.

Thx. ^^;;
dn ___ -- ...-.--__...''
R.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Raymott; it would be wrong to call it grammatically incorrect. It's collocation not grammar. And when they come across thing like However much money you have..., it may be confusing. I have much money is not wrong; it's a bit strange. You can say things like not many people had much money, which may be a bit tricky to explain to someone who has been taught that have much money is a grammatical error.

There are also forms like they had so/too/as much money that might trouble them.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

1. I have much money (x)

'I have a lot of money'?

Thx. ^^;;

No, it is not grammatically incorrect at all. It is simply relatively unidiomatic, particularly for conversational purposes.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would be safe to explain to them that while the use of "much" in positive sentences isn't grammatically incorrect, it's rarely used and should be avoided. However, it's important that they remember that they will come across "much" in lots of other situations and it may well be perfectly appropriate.

Examples of common use:
I haven't got much money.
He hasn't got much food.
Have you got much money on you?
Is there much food in the fridge?

Uncommon use:
I have much money.
He has much food.

The only example I can think of where it is used quite a lot is in the specific phrase "much to do", frequently along with a intensifier.

Hurry up, there's much to do.
I can't go out tonight, I have so much to do!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You can also say

'He has too much money'.

'We have bought too much food.'

Rover

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It is also found after There is- the BNC lists 163 examples for There is much + noun, including 24 examples of there is much evidence, against 143 for There is a lot of + noun.

wotcha

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I love you guys! ㅠㅜ

Status
Not open for further replies.