Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi teachers,

Would you be able to tell me how you pronounce "kiosks"? When I pronounce "masks", I have to add an "i" to it - "masiks". Can I, in the same way, add "i" to "kiosks" and pronounce it "kiosiks"?

I also have trouble with "-sh s", as in Irish Spring. How do you pronounce it?

Thanks for your kind help!

DQ

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would you be able to tell me how you pronounce "kiosks"? When I pronounce "masks", I have to add an "i" to it - "masiks". Can I, in the same way, add "i" to "kiosks" and pronounce it "kiosiks"?
Speakers of some languages do find 'sk' and other English consonant clusters difficult to pronounce, but you need to practice. Adding a short vowel between the two consonants produces a word that is not natural in English. Try making long sssssss sounds and ending them sharply with p, t and k sounds.

dqdqf

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Speakers of some languages do find 'sk' and other English consonant clusters difficult to pronounce, but you need to practice. Adding a short vowel between the two consonants produces a word that is not natural in English. Try making long sssssss sounds and ending them sharply with p, t and k sounds.

When s is before p, t, and k, I'm okay. My trouble spots are when they are pluralized, like wasps, pests, and kiosks. I would add an "i" before p, t, and k to make them "wasips", "pesits", "kiosiks". I can't think of any other way around it because if I pronounce the ending "s" the "normal" way, they would sound like "waspus", "pestus", "kioskus".

Wonder how you say them? Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.