Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My daughter has been in Skype all night trying to locate a quote... she has to fill in the blank from Jack London's WHITE FANG ".
" I would give two hoot for a dog that wouldn't _____"

Not sure if this is the correct quote, and the teacher was uncooperative!

I located this on GOOGLE, but the link does not take me to the info I need. I have searched fo rmore than 200 minutes.

Call the dogs off: If someone calls off their dogs, they stop attacking or ..... Couldn' t give two hoots: If you couldn't give two hoots about something, you don't care at .... Kiche and White Fang become the dogs of one Indian named Gray Beaver. ...

Suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:hi: Maybe you've had no reply from the 100+ people who've viewed your post because nobody can understand it. In particular, what is 'the information you need'?

You've already got the meaning of 'couldn't give two hoots'. Possibly the owner is saying he would like to have a dog that... <whatever>' - maybe one that doesn't bark so loud. But it's not clear to me either what Jack London wrote or what you want.

b

mikelynn

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi, I checked Google books for the phrase you'd found confusing and it gave me two examples - He said he would not give two hoot's in hell for one of these legs, and he would not put it out for $5. Mr. KKLLEY. - and - 000 on the pretext of building som: wall cabinets don't give two hoot* in hell for the Better Busincv Bureau
I'm glad if it helps, at least a bit. Personally, I'd say it may a variation of "not give a damn", but not being a native speaker and not having more context, I can't really tell :-(
M&L

Status
Not open for further replies.