Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Burkina Faso
Current Location
Algeria
Hello everyone,

I've got a question regarding some phonetic symbols and their correct pronunciation.

/ɒ/ and /ʌ/:
Please could someone explain to me what's a difference between these two phonetic symblos and how they should be pronounced with examples?

Also
/ə/, /ɜ/, /ɔ/ and /ɛ/

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up:

Hello everyone,

I've got a question regarding some phonetic symbols and their correct pronunciation.

/ɒ/ and /ʌ/:
Please could someone explain to me what's [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] THE difference between these two phonetic symblos ...

I don't understand the question. They are different. The question 'What is the difference between red and orange?' calls for the same answer. They are different. (You could in each case talk about frequencies and waves, but in the end what is is.)

Until you know and can produce the difference (you already have the links) I advise you not to complain about your hut being too hot or about baby seals being culled!

b

GoodDay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Burkina Faso
Current Location
Algeria
Thank you all for your replies.

I had a look in those websites you gave me.

I briefly overviewed the symbols given there and I coudn't find the symbol "ɔ".

Is it like a sound "ɒ"?

The short symbol "ɜ" is also missing there.
Is it like "ə"? Examples: hare [hɛə], Claire [klɛr]

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In your first post, you asked about phonetic symbols, but gave as the ones that caused you problems /ɒ/, /ʌ/, /ə/, etc. I assumed that, as you had put the symbols between slashes, that you meant phonemic symbols. In your last post, you put the symbols between sqare brackets, which means that they are phonetic symbols. Before we can help you, you must let us know which you mean.

[ɜ] is a vowel in the International Phonetic Alphabet.
/ɜ:/ is a an English phoneme, the vowel sound in[FONT=&quot] bird, burred, turn, herd, heard, myrtle, myrrh, worse, masseuse journalist oeuvre
[/FONT]
/ɜ/ is not an English phoneme.

GoodDay

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Burkina Faso
Current Location
Algeria
:-? hmmm..

I understand what "phonetic" means, but I can't seem to find the word "phonemic" in my Cambridge Advance Learners Dictionary:S

Could you explain me the difference between them, the meaning of "phonemic" and give some examples please?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.