Clear speech equals minimal mouth movement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Hi guys, last night I watched various videos of peoplewho speak RP, and the trend of minimal mouth movement is obvious. I just wonder how keeping the mouth narrow and contricted can create such a clean and sharpe tone?

TAke the Queen for example, watch this video of her having a portrait done, theres a nice rare interview.

Why is this possible, and why do some people who have large mouth movement make such slurred and dull tones? Watch actually happens physically in the mouth?

PORTRAIT OF THE QUEEN. Part 1 of 2

Thanks! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Doctors who attend upper-class women during childbirth inject the babies' lips with a permanent freezing solution as soon as the cord has been cut. This has been hailed as a great advance - before the solution was discovered by Dr Ivor Brushup-M'Rectum in 1923, babies who moved their lips too much with their first scream were simply disposed of.

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
Doctors who attend upper-class women during childbirth inject the babies' lips with a permanent freezing solution as soon as the cord has been cut. This has been hailed as a great advance - before the solution was discovered by Dr Ivor Brushup-M'Rectum in 1923, babies who moved their lips too much with their first scream were simply disposed of.

lol funny!

But, Im not really talking about upperclass people, although yes, I did use the Queen as an example. Only because i found that rare video of her though. :)

You see the trend in all people who have or 'pick up' the accent.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Ah, but what's happening inside the mouth? A lot of sound is controlled inside- Richard Burton, I heard, trained himself to speak clearly with a pebble in his mouth, then when he'd mastered that he tried it with two.

Status
Not open for further replies.