Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey all. Brand new here. Very glad that I found this forum. I'm pretty new to linguistics and phonetics. I can tell this place will be a valuable resource.

I am helping someone and they are having trouble with the /ʒ/ sound. He actually didn't even know the sound existed and instead had been subbing in /ʧ/. "Usual" becomes "Uchual" and "Massage" is "Massach". I told him the main differences are that /ʒ/ is voiced and the tongue won't touch the top of the mouth. Is that correct? He still really struggled. Is there anything else I can tell him to help him? Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, J D Wright. :hi:

How is your friend on other unvoiced/voiced pairs such as /f -v/, - ð/, /s - z/, -ʒ/ ? If they can distinguish those, then at least they can understand what you are talking about. You are correct in saying that the tongue does not touch the roof of the mouth in /ʧ - ʤ/. Try to move them from /ʧ/ to /. Then it's just a matter of switching on the voice.

JDWright

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the reply. We're working on /v/. He voices it fine, but will start it before his teeth are in the right place, giving him a /w/ /v/ hybrid. His /θ - ð/ issue is more of a /th/ instead of a /ð/, but only when his rhythm is wrong. /s-z/ seems fine.

Can you recommend any practice word pairs that will help him "switch on" the voice with everything else already in place?

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

JDWright

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
What is his first language? Sounds like Indian to me (cues: between /v/ and /w/, /th/ problems)

Give him a bone prop that keeps his mouth open a bit while articulating consonants.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.