English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,
Could you tell me which one is better? Are both of them acceptable?
a) Listen to the episode. When you are finished, you will create your own questions on the next page.
b) Listen to the episode. When you have finished, you will create your own questions on the next page.

Thanks in advance

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Teachers,
a) Listen to the episode. When you are finished, you will create your own questions on the next page.
b) Listen to the episode. When you have finished, you will create your own questions on the next page.

Thanks in advance
As a BrE speaker, I would only use b).

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Hi Teachers,

Thanks in advance

As a BrE speaker, I would only use b).

As an AmE speaker, I too would only use "b". But, I must admit that many AmE speakers would use "a".

In any event, when writing instructions to students I believe that it is very important to be succinct and to the point. With this in mind, I would rephrase the question to read:

Listen to the episode. When you have finished, create your own questions on the next page.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,

Thanks in advance

As an AmE speaker, I too would only use "b". But, I must admit that many AmE speakers would use "a".

In any event, when writing instructions to students I believe that it is very important to be succinct and to the point. With this in mind, I would rephrase the question to read:

Listen to the episode. When you have finished, create your own questions on the next page.

Hi John,
Than you so much for your reply. You know that directions drive me crazy. I guess I do the same with all of you.:roll:

Best,
L54

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say 'Listen to the episode and then create your own questions on the next page'.

After all, they aren't going to create questions before they have finished listening.

Rover

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I would say 'Listen to the episode and then create your own questions on the next page'.

After all, they aren't going to create questions before they have finished listening.

Rover
Hi Rover,
Thank you for your suggestion.

Best,
L54

Status
Not open for further replies.