Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #1

    take pride in / pride oneself on

    I We take pride in our cities.
    II We pride ourselves on our cities.



    1. Are above sentences synonymous?
    2. If so, which of them is a native speaker more likely to use?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,627
    #2

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    I We take pride in our cities.
    II We pride ourselves on our cities.



    1. Are above sentences synonymous?
    2. If so, which of them is a native speaker more likely to use?
    Yes, they mean more or less the same. I've seen both but I'd be very unlikely to say either of them.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #3

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, they mean more or less the same. I've seen both but I'd be very unlikely to say either of them.

    Thank you.

    Does that mean that you simply are proud of somebody (including yourself) or something or that you are proud to do something or that you are proud that this or that happens (in all possible tenses)?

    Why are the forms given in the title of this thread unlikely to be used by yourself?

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #4

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    I We take pride in our cities.
    II We pride ourselves on our cities.



    1. Are above sentences synonymous?
    2. If so, which of them is a native speaker more likely to use?
    In my opinion, the first is fine but the second is a little unnatural. I would be more likely to be specific about what aspects of cities we pride ourselves on:

    We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our cities.
    We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our cities.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #5

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    In my opinion, the first is fine but the second is a little unnatural. I would be more likely to be specific about what aspects of cities we pride ourselves on:

    We pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our cities.
    We pride ourselves on the friendliness of our cities.
    Thank you.


    Would you be very hard put to come up with a rule behind this?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Yes

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,893
    #7

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by JarekSteliga View Post
    Thank you.

    Would you be very hard put to come up with a rule behind this?
    Yes, it would be very hard (or at least, I would find it very hard) to come up with a rule.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 16-Jan-2012 at 00:23.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Nov 2011
    • Posts: 433
    #8

    Re: take pride in / pride oneself on

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Yes, it would be very hard (or at least, I would find it very hard) to come up with a rule.

    One must face the reality that grammar can assist a learner only so much and that ultimately things are down to practice.

Similar Threads

  1. Pride of, Pride in
    By wq.denis in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2011, 09:55
  2. [Idiom] pride to or of
    By sane in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-Nov-2010, 22:58
  3. pride
    By pallavi kakkar in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2010, 13:15
  4. take pride in + someone or something
    By nado92 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Mar-2010, 17:48

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •